Profile Picture

55 T-Bird 12 Volt, Turn Signals Not Working

Posted By 312YBlock Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
had simler problem with 1949 ford truck, the draw on newer bulbs not enough for newer flasher i new style. a way is I installed 1per side of clearance lights some wher out of sight, this gave enough draw to make flasher work. it has worked for 5 years. still works
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Headlight switch or turn-signal switch?
312YBlock
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The problem was the switch, I got a new one from Hill’s, all fixed 😊

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
Meandean
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)

This reminds me of a story from long ago.

In the 1970's we decided to fix up my grandparents old car.  A 57 Custom.
Rebuilt engine, got it going and it was a car my brother and I shared.
Headlights worked just fine, but the dash lights did not.

Long about 6-9 months later just driving along at night and suddenly for a split second, viola!  DASH LIGHTS in all their glory.

Evidently just pulling and pushing the light switch on did what you said. It cleaned the contacts.
312YBlock
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

I rapidly worked the light switch 10 or twelve times and the turn signals came back to life. Thank you DLR.

312YBlock
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Interesting, I wouldn’t think the parking/headlight switch would be involved although it was curious that the turn signals woke up after I turned the parking lifts on off on two occasions, will also work turn signal. Thanks DLR I’ll give it a shot.

DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Sounds like bad contacts. If you rarely drive at night the contacts need cleaning or at minimum making and breaking. I was told by and old dealership line mechanic when he found an electrical light problem on a very low milage older car to pull the light switch off and on 8-10 times rapidly to wipe the contacts. May not be it but worth a try. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
312YBlock
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I put a test light on the hot then the cold side of the flasher with the key on accessory and have power to and through the flasher. With the TLight on the blue (cold wire) the TL will dim when the signal lever is raised or lowered (right/left). But still not working 😣, once again I turned on and off the parking light switch and everything began to work again.

paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Attach a temp ground and see if that makes it work.

312YBlock (6/17/2023)
I changed out the flasher and no luck; it doesn’t fit the into the pronged retainer so i let it hang. The old unit was dented on one side to allow it to fit into the metal retaining bracket, I’m wondering if it has to be grounded by the retaining bracket in order to work?

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

312YBlock
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I changed out the flasher and no luck; it doesn’t fit the into the pronged retainer so i let it hang. The old unit was dented on one side to allow it to fit into the metal retaining bracket, I’m wondering if it has to be grounded by the retaining bracket in order to work?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter