Profile Picture

Thunderbird valve cover decal

Posted By DryLakesRacer Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Maybe a strange request. I recently saw a photo posted on the HAMB of a row of what appeared to be 1956 YBlock on an assembly line. They are at the end of the line and look to be ready for installation. The first one is a Thunderbird, you can see the rear sump pan, no side breather, fuel pump without a glass bowl, and a glass bowel filter leading to the carb, and other items that make it a T-Bird. The next one looks like a car model. 
My question pertains to the Thunderbird black steel rocker cover and the decal on it. It is not a sharp photo and hard to see details but appears to be like the center of the cast aluminum but larger. I personally have never seen a black set on a Thunderbird so I’m not sure of the size. 2 suppliers list a decal that resembles what I see in detail. Does anyone know if the available ones are a true copy of what would have been on a Thunderbird without the dress up aluminum covers. A photo of one of the take offs, with I’m guessing most became would be great. Thanks 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Search Images for 1955-57 Thunderbird engine compartment. You'll also find engine images on ford-y-block.com.
Marc
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I saw that pic too. Wish I could find it now and post it. Tough to make out in that picture, but to me it looked like one of those old Holman Moody decals, similar to this one:

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5105642b-4ee0-4957-8be7-8e4e.jpg
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

The ones for sale I have found are similar shown above without the CP with the same Thunderbird written out. I have spotted 2 Corvettes lately with orange rocker covers with the correct horse power decal so I’m assuming if a customer didn’t want the dress up kit he didn’t buy it. I’m now wondering if every Thunderbird came to the dealership whit the black ones. 
I also could not figure out how to share the photo here. 

paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 minutes ago
The aluminum valve covers came with a dress up kit that included the covers, chrome air filter housing and a chrome oil filler cap.  It was a factory  option.  The black steel covers were standard.  However, that decal shown on the picture looks like the Holman-Moody decal as was previously mentioned.  Definitely not the ones used by Ford.  I think these are the correct decals for the 55-57 Tbirds.  Might have been used in the sedans with the 312.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e89b2aa5-1422-4355-af7b-3f6d.jpg

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

slumlord444
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
That is 312 decal. 292 was different. Said Thunderbird but not special. 
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I have ordered a set of the ones shown on the assembly line photo. Marc…I’ve also contacted the person on the HAMB who posted the photo for a copy to post here. The engines appear to be 56’s. The closest is the T-Birds and the second a 292 passenger car by its rocker cover decal. When posted I’m sure there will be many comments.

DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Here’s a photo of the assembly line at the end in my thinking and the Thunderbird engine in question. You can see it also has a black oil fill/breather cap. The dual vacuum ignition can and the second engine has it too. The rocker arm decal design is not like any see on any Ford of that era. Like I said I’ve found them and bought a set. It will be interesting to see if they are the proper size.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6980cdd1-6b0c-42d2-8042-aed.jpeg

Marc
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Thanks for posting that pic. You're right, that engine in the foreground is definitely a t-bird engine. Post a pic of the decals you ordered when you get them. I'm curious to see how they look.
MoonShadow
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 25 minutes ago
The decals on the assembly line picture are quite a bit larger than the first example. They must be a reproduction or different decal. I'd like to know the true history of the assembly line decals.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

Reading This Topic

Site Meter