Profile Picture

Baby Bird Valve cover questions.

Posted By Melly Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (590 reputation)Supercharged (590 reputation)Supercharged (590 reputation)Supercharged (590 reputation)Supercharged (590 reputation)Supercharged (590 reputation)Supercharged (590 reputation)Supercharged (590 reputation)Supercharged (590 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Best Replacement gasket to use on Baby Bird Aluminum valve covers. And best method to make sure they seal properly.
paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I've mostly used the cork gaskets with no problems.  I use RTV on the valve cover side of then gasket mostly to hold it in place.  Other than that, nothing else.  I have those covers on my 54 and my 56 Bird

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Melly
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (590 reputation)Supercharged (590 reputation)Supercharged (590 reputation)Supercharged (590 reputation)Supercharged (590 reputation)Supercharged (590 reputation)Supercharged (590 reputation)Supercharged (590 reputation)Supercharged (590 reputation)

thank for the information

slumlord444
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
I always use 3M weatherstrip cement to glue the cork gasket to the valve cover and a light coat of grease on the bottom. This seals well and lets you remove and replace the valve cover several times without having to replace the gasket.  
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

I just replaced mine a week ago. I use Permatex #2 on the rocker cover, let it sit 5-10 minutes, then set on the cork style gaskets. By the look of them the original engine assembler 11 years ago did the same thing. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 10 hours ago
I do similar as Slumlord does.  For the aluminum valve covers, I use the thicker cork gaskets with 3M cement used sparingly on the cover itself to stick the gasket and white grease on the cylinder head side of the gasket.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Melly
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks to all for information Great source and people!.  .
Daniel Jessup
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

I guess I follow suit with the rest of the crowd, but if you want to see some pictures and a dedicated blog post to restoring and installing a set of these valve cover then go here:

https://www.hotrodreverend.com/post/1955-ford-part-111-valve-cover-restoration

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

FORD DEARBORN
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
About 8 years ago I purchased a pair of rubber/neoprene valve cover gaskets fron Mummert that still seal very well after multiple r&r.  They stay in place on the older non lettered steel valve covers with out any sealer. Not sure if they are still available? 

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Melly
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Would there be a torque setting to use on the baby bird aluminum covers? Maybe over thinking just want to due it right. I do remember having to recheck after motor warm up.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter