Profile Picture

Barn Find

Posted By cos Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Hello Members    Would like to share a  story with you.  Last week I was looking on local CL for some clutch linkage I need for 57 ranchero project I have.  Ad said Ford supercharger for sale. I called to inquire about what it (Was  in my home town when I was kid growing up) was. Fella told me It was off a 57 retractable he bought new in 57 from Wilson Ford in Corvallis Oregon. Said car weighed 4700 pounds (?)  and could not remember winning any street races with it.  Also said he burned holes in several pistons that Ford fixed uner warranty. Mentioned car was a lot slower after fixed. He decided to take blower off and change distributor back to single points, this was in about 1960. He put supercharger, tensioning  bracket, two belt crank pulley, both in and out air rubber hoses and air cleaned housing on shelf in his barn since 1960  until I came along. Iam in early  starting stages of a stroker (312)  engine. Thinking I might go with s/c route. I was saving up to buy JM AL heads but spent $ on this setup. I called Pat in Texas to confirm parts were available for rebuild. He took the time to explain what needs to be done in a rebuild as original bearings and seals are NA any longer. If any of you s/c fellas have any advice to a novice please share. Bill (cos)  541 221 7941  Thanks

miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

That’s a very interesting story. Following is what I was told, what I remember, etc. on F code retractables. I’ve never done any “independent” research, and years later at 73 I might have jumped a cog.

A local Thunderbird restoration guy (now retired) has an F code bird, and F code wagon, and an F code retractable. Along with other things. I haven’t seen anything but the bird in the last few years (both his F code and E code 57).

His was #12 of 14 F code retractable’s built to make a specific weight/hp class for 57 racing. It is all original except for the chrome on the rear bumper and the front seat cushion. If anyone would be of use, it would be him, or he’d know who to call. To track down the original car info.

Frank “pegleg” Rice on here reproduced the F code passenger car brackets and assemblies. I used them on the F code clone in my roadster. Pat rebuilt the VR series blower. I’ve still got that, a 56 Merc 312 block, turned crank, bored, 340 cid, 8.5 to 1 (true static) with a set of 471 heads ported by J Mummert when he still did that.

Don Antilla in Connecticut reproduced the Thunderbird F code brackets. He’s still involved in that and I spoke to him last week on an unrelated matter. I had a set of his brackets, very nice “oem” stuff. Just in case you need to know.

FWIW, Pat is probably still the best bet. John Erb retired, and Cliff on here does McCulloch work, but I don’t know about VR series. Hopefully him and Frank will chime in.

I don’t want to post contact info without permission, but if you reply here I’ll give you a call.

I’ve got a set of John’s aluminum heads. With the small chambers the pistons will have to be down in the hole or dished to get the compression ratio down (or cam overlap). I’m sure Ted would have an answer to that, but it’s beyond my knowledge.

Fun find, good project, enjoy.

My F code

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
cos
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)

Thanks for reply.  I spoke with Frank this AM. Both Frank and Pat took the time to answer my questions and I thanked them for that. Cos
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
John Erb was mentioned, he passed away recently, maybe last month.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

I’m sorry to hear that, RIP.

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
cos
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hello Miker  It is interesting to see only 14 F-code retrackables were built.  If the fella that has F-code code car bought the car without the S/C stuff in NW  it might be same car   I got parts from. Fella I bought parts from said he didnt change carb,dist  or heads and didn't ask what color it was.. He told me he traded it in on a 1962 TB. in 1962 in Corvallis OR.  Will sent you a PM note.  Thanks
cos
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hello  Talked to fella I bought S/C parts from.  Told me he ordered it new and took 2 months to get, was a red and white color comb.. Also said he traded it in for a new 1962 TB in Florida so car probably not in PNW.
Lou
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
While collecting data plate information on 54 thru 60 Ford and Thunderbird cars I received from a member of the retractable club the information on the factory built (F code) retractables, the information I have shows that 20 supercharged retractables were built.   
miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Probably more accurate information than I got years ago. Still a small number.

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter