Profile Picture

break-in and after break-in oils for stock 292

Posted By AllenV Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
57RancheroJim (3/29/2023)
Sorry to get off topic but I noticed the two tapped holes on the top of the timing chain cover, was that only on trucks?

I don't know if those tapped holes are truck specific. The water pump is truck specific, with a larger shaft diameter.  Nothing was attached to them when I got the truck, but that does not imply they have no truck purpose as my worn out ranch truck certainly economized on parts.  I found the holes useful for lifting the motor out of the chassis.

I was interested in the shorter WIX filter just to get more space between the filter and the frame.  The truck came with a full-size spin-on filter and I thought I'd like room around the steering box.

Allen
Corrales, New Mexico

'55 F-100, 292 y-block
57RancheroJim
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Sorry to get off topic but I noticed the two tapped holes on the top of the timing chain cover, was that only on trucks?
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
AllenV …. My reference to the 3/4 length Wix is because my 292 is in our 56 car with power steering. The original “canister” oil filter was in the car when I bought it and was extremely difficult to remove without making a mess. I worked a lube rack for Sear Auto Center in the 60’s and don’t remember them being as bad back then. I bought an original Ford screw on adapter and found the Wix 51515 better but still was tight. The Wix 51085 made it easier and are stock on many MOPARS. The 55 pick-up should not have a problem with any of them. 
PS: I like your bright red. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
57RancheroJim
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I've been using Valvoline 10-30 and WIX 51515 filters in my FE, 302, 223 and Y block for years with no problems. The Y block has 19,000 miles now since rebuild.
AllenV
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)

paul2748 (3/28/2023)
In order to not void any warranty that you have on the new engine, I would suggest using the oil recommended by the engine builder. 

After that, there was an article by Ted here recommending any conventional oil with at least a 30 rating or better 10/30/10/40 etc.

Certainly got off subject - started with an oil question and ended up with engine color.  WOW

We are not in warranty territory here, except perhaps in a very limited sense.  The machine shop did the machine work. He's a y-block guy since forever.  I have been building it from bare block and heads with valves he put in.  I bought the break-in oil from him.  I could certainly ask him about after-break-in-oil, but he has retired and sold the business. 
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6c46f05f-8b63-4bfb-9ee9-803.jpeg

Allen
Corrales, New Mexico

'55 F-100, 292 y-block
paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
In order to not void any warranty that you have on the new engine, I would suggest using the oil recommended by the engine builder. 

After that, there was an article by Ted here recommending any conventional oil with at least a 30 rating or better 10/30/10/40 etc.

Certainly got off subject - started with an oil question and ended up with engine color.  WOW

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

AllenV
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

DryLakesRacer (3/28/2023)
I’ve been using Lucas 10-30 Hot Rod oil for 5 years with a stock 292. It’s formulated for flat tappet camshafts. I do not know if the “nice to have” center cam bear revision was done or not but I have oil at the rocker arms every time I check. I use a Wix 51085 3/4 length screw on filter. I change oil once a year. Many use Valvoline racing oil but I prefer not to. Good luck with your truck and have fun with it. 

hey, I finally spotted that giant "quote" button.
this is great info. An oil and a shorter filter. 
FYI, I did enlarge the oil groove in the cam.  The rest of the oiling system is stock.  Planning on good quality oil, changed often.

Allen
Corrales, New Mexico

'55 F-100, 292 y-block
AllenV
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Supercharged, yep, it is very red.  That is Eastwood's ceramic engine paint in red.  I was after a color that yells "hello" when I open the hood.  To be restoration correct with the '55 F-100 the motor would be pale yellow, or I've I think I've seen some in black.  Neither resonate with me.  Then I realized that trucks like this were survivors relying on used motors to get past middle age.  This one came to me with a early-60s 292 rattle-canned blue, putting on airs of a newer motor.  So I made it pop in red after I found some evidence that some of the cast iron was red to begin with, from whatever sedan served as the donor.  That said, the shade of red is builder's choice.

Allen
Corrales, New Mexico

'55 F-100, 292 y-block
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
I’ve been using Lucas 10-30 Hot Rod oil for 5 years with a stock 292. It’s formulated for flat tappet camshafts. I do not know if the “nice to have” center cam bear revision was done or not but I have oil at the rocker arms every time I check. I use a Wix 51085 3/4 length screw on filter. I change oil once a year. Many use Valvoline racing oil but I prefer not to. Good luck with your truck and have fun with it. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Allen, I had considered using Mobil 1 0w-40 European Formula or 10w-40 High Mileage, both of which Mobil recommends for flat-tappet engines, but Ted said that full synthetic shouldn't be used. 

Your engine looks great, but it is more red than the Seymour Ford/Chrysler Red that I recently bought for my Tbird engine. I chose that particular paint because Gil Baumgartner (CTCI Gil's Garage) says it most closely matches the original engine color. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter