Profile Picture

Messed up my distributor drive gear

Posted By B-rad Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 hours ago
I thought about taking it in somewhere and have a new hole drilled since I don't have a drill press but since I was able to find a new one for $30 shipped, it seems to be a good deal. Shops don't work for free. The amount of my bad drilling was too far off to use a bigger pin.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
MoonShadow
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Is the distributor shaft still ok or is it wobbled out too? Do you need another distributor and gear or just one of them. This was putting a Lincoln gear on a Ford distributor as I recall. Is that correct?

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
MoonShadow
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

I searched the part number on Google and came up with several listings. Prices vary but this page seemed reasonable. This gear apparently fits the Lincoln plus the FE Fords. https://nospartsltd.com/product/fab12390c/
To be sure you could call some of these sites.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

The distributor I'm putting it on is fine, no issues getting that pin out. The one I took it out of, the Lincoln one, is cracked but all I needed was the gear

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
MoonShadow
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Do a Google search for the part number and follow the link to check. https://nospartsltd.com/product/fab12390c/

Y's guys rule!

B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Here's a pic of the hole I made

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Drill a new hole 90 degrees from the old ?  I have seen it done

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

FORD DEARBORN
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Drilling a new hole in the original gear 90* from the original hole would work but Brad mentioned a new gear is on the way.  The goal now is to get the new gear pressed on the "new" distributor shaft in the CORRECT location and drill with precision a new hole so as not to ruin the new distributor and gear. Good luck.................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Why will I have to drill a new hole in the distributor shaft if the gear holes and existing holes line up?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
MoonShadow
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

You won't if you got a good replacement gear.

Y's guys rule!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter