Messed up my distributor drive gear

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic163776.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By B-rad - Last Year
So I was trying to get athe pin outta my 54 Lincoln distributor so I could put it in my 60 292 distributor shaft. It would not budge so I attempted to drill it out. Of course I wasn't aimed right and now the gear is ruined. Been trying to find out the number of the gear to buy but can't find it. If anyone knows the number or has one for sale,please let me know.
I think fab-12390-c is what I need but can't confirm it.
By FORD DEARBORN - Last Year
You need a distributor gear for a Lincoln Y block, right? I haven's personally verified this but have read on this forum numerous times that a Ford FE gear is the same as the Lincoln Y and those are available.  The most popular FE's are 352 & 390 cid engines.
By B-rad - Last Year
I'm putting the 60 fyb distributor in my lyb 317
Is the fe gear 14 or 15 teeth?
By paul2748 - Last Year
Try this vendor for a gear:  Distributorgears.com 
By B-rad - Last Year
Nope. They don't have any Lincoln parts
By DANIEL TINDER - Last Year
B-rad (3/5/2023)
So I was trying to get athe pin outta my 54 Lincoln distributor so I could put it in my 60 292 distributor shaft. It would not budge so I attempted to drill it out. Of course I wasn't aimed right and now the gear is ruined. Been trying to find out the number of the gear to buy but can't find it. If anyone knows the number or has one for sale,please let me know.
I think fab-12390-c is what I need but can't confirm it.

Just curious.  Did you have the proper size pin-driver tool?  I bought one before I rebuilt my Loadomatic, and don’t remember having any trouble getting the pin out (unless maybe just getting it started, as it was likely flush with the gear).
By B-rad - Last Year
The pin was mushroomed out on both ends. I ground one side down and drilled a small hole in the middle. I don't have the proper tool so I used nails and screws to try to tap it out. Didn't move at all. I decided to just drill the pin outta the gear on both ends and pull the gear off. Did that but saw that I didn't hit the pin exactly and when I punched the remaining pin out I was off enough that the new pin won't hold. I don't have a drill press so I bought a new gear
By mjs - Last Year
That is the same gear that the 368's use and I confirmed that with my Chasis Catalog.  I when I built my my convertible I had to replace the gear and it crossed over with a 390.  It was available locally.  Try Napa's ECH DG304.  Their catalog shows it fits a 390 and it is readily available.

Dist drive gear
By MoonShadow - Last Year
It shouldn't be hard to get a slightly over size pin. Drill the holes straight through or have a shop do it and put in the larger pin.
By 62bigwindow - Last Year
Can't you index the gear and drill a new hole? Or drill oversize and put in a larger pin as suggested.
By B-rad - Last Year
I thought about taking it in somewhere and have a new hole drilled since I don't have a drill press but since I was able to find a new one for $30 shipped, it seems to be a good deal. Shops don't work for free. The amount of my bad drilling was too far off to use a bigger pin.
Is the distributor shaft still ok or is it wobbled out too? Do you need another distributor and gear or just one of them. This was putting a Lincoln gear on a Ford distributor as I recall. Is that correct?
I searched the part number on Google and came up with several listings. Prices vary but this page seemed reasonable. This gear apparently fits the Lincoln plus the FE Fords. https://nospartsltd.com/product/fab12390c/
To be sure you could call some of these sites.
By B-rad - Last Year
The distributor I'm putting it on is fine, no issues getting that pin out. The one I took it out of, the Lincoln one, is cracked but all I needed was the gear
Do a Google search for the part number and follow the link to check. https://nospartsltd.com/product/fab12390c/

By B-rad - Last Year
Here's a pic of the hole I made
By paul2748 - Last Year
Drill a new hole 90 degrees from the old ?  I have seen it done
By FORD DEARBORN - Last Year
Drilling a new hole in the original gear 90* from the original hole would work but Brad mentioned a new gear is on the way.  The goal now is to get the new gear pressed on the "new" distributor shaft in the CORRECT location and drill with precision a new hole so as not to ruin the new distributor and gear. Good luck.................
By B-rad - Last Year
Why will I have to drill a new hole in the distributor shaft if the gear holes and existing holes line up?
You won't if you got a good replacement gear.
By miker - Last Year
Don’t beat yourself up too much. I’ve done worse on things like that, and I’ve got a drill press.
By Ted - Last Year
When you install the new distributor gear, a couple of things must happen in order to use the existing hole in both the gear and the shaft.  This is assuming that the hole size in the gear is correct for the shaft being used.  Aftermarket and some special application distributors tend to use varying shaft sizes which in turn requires gears with matching hole I.D.’s.

1. The collapsed measurement of the distributor gear on the replacement distributor must match the original measurement.

1. The hole must be perfectly aligned.  Try turning the gear 180° if the holes fail to align.

In the event there is a problem with either #1 or #2, then the gear will need to be repositioned ~90° and a new hole drilled in the shaft using the existing hole in the new gear as a guide. 

Keep in mind that it’s rare for the holes in the distributor gears to match up with each other.  And those holes in the distributor gears are often slightly off-center which complicates drilling the hole in the shaft.  If you find that the hole in the distributor gear and the shaft do not match up, try turning the gear 180° on the shaft and see if that helps.  If no match, then a new hole in the gear and/or shaft is required.
By DryLakesRacer - Last Year
B-rad… have you removed the gear on your 292 distributor so you can install the one for a Lincoln? If it is off, buy a new FE gear and forget all this. As Ted said place the new gear on the 292 distributor shaft and get it close as you can..try both ways. 
 The gear does not need to be indexed. There is enough adjustment to get the timing correct as long as you have the rotor of  #1 aiming at the #1 spark plug wire you’ve placed in the cap and you 30* of movement for the vacuum can.