Profile Picture

Diameter of hole in Bell Housing

Posted By Deyomatic Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (625 reputation)Supercharged (625 reputation)Supercharged (625 reputation)Supercharged (625 reputation)Supercharged (625 reputation)Supercharged (625 reputation)Supercharged (625 reputation)Supercharged (625 reputation)Supercharged (625 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Does anyone know what the diameter of the big hole that supports the bearing retainer is on what's PROBABLY from a 1959 Fairlane? 
I've got a 3 speed toploader in my Model A coupe behind a '59 292 and it's all working...I have another transmission with OD (AMC Gremlin T-150 with Laycock de Normanville OD)http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0bbf09a7-82e3-4fc0-8695-7f1e.jpg that I want to stick in there but would like to figure out if that bearing retainer is the right diameter as is or if it'll need to be turned down (while it's with the transmission guy) without taking it all apart in case I want to go out for a blast in it.  
FORD DEARBORN
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I'm not sure exactly what you are swapping but if you are planning to use the trans pictured, the input shaft looks a lot longer and different than that of a Ford trans. As far as the outside diameter of the bearing retainer, I will be able to take a measurement for you tomorrow, if you still need to know. 

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

I’ve been following this over on the HAMB. If I’m reading it right, you’ll need to turn the front bearing retainer about 1/4”. Based on what I did some years ago with the later Ford 4 speed o/d discussed there. A measurement from Ford Dearborn will tell you.

2 of the transmissions to bellhousing bolts will line up. You may have to drill and tap the other 2, it’s not a big deal. The input shaft length I can’t remember. May need a 1/8 or 1/4 inch shortening. That is also not a big deal, I’ve done that on T-5’s. Watch the length of the clutch splines, but that should also not be a problem.

Using the Jeep shifter on the top cover, I don’t have a clue, but it would probably be appropriate for a model A.

Anyone interested in this discussion, here’s the link.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/gear-vendors-with-a-3-speed-toploader-anyone-have-it.1279511/

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
darrell
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
if the transmission is out of a small block the imput shaft will be 1/2 inch longer.you need to grind 3/8 off.all 4 bolt holes line up.you will need to turn down front bearing retainer.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

I have a mid 50's 3 speed small mounting bolt pattern transmission which should be typical of the '59 Y-block bell housing you mentioned. It is a passenger car bellhousing, right? The outside diameter of the bearing retainer on my trans is 4 47/64" so I think it would be safe to assume the bellhousing bore would be 4 3/4".  I have many questions about your project but anyways, good luck and hope this helps....................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
FORD DEARBORN
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

If someone has a Y-block car manual trans bellhousing handy, please measure the bore to verify that it coincides whit my dimensions above. Although my trans is a light duty 3 speed, it is a truck trans and may have a different retainer than a car trans.  Thanks.............

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
DANIEL TINDER
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

4.65” approx. (dial caliper).

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
FORD DEARBORN
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for posting this.  The correct diameter of the hole in a car bellhouising  is 4.65".  Hope this helps Deyomatic....................... 

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Deyomatic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (625 reputation)Supercharged (625 reputation)Supercharged (625 reputation)Supercharged (625 reputation)Supercharged (625 reputation)Supercharged (625 reputation)Supercharged (625 reputation)Supercharged (625 reputation)Supercharged (625 reputation)

AWESOME!!!  Thanks do much.  
I recall one guy saying that the input shaft would need a trim but I thought the jury was out on the bearing retainer.  Mikey's reading comprehension skills might be better than mine!
Also wonder if I get down to it and it doesn't line up, maybe my current bearing retainer will bolt into the "new" trans...

This "new" trans came out of a 1976 Gremlin.  I didn't even know they existed...I was weighing options for ODs or gear swaps...even thought about one of those Gear Vendors units for the 3 speed toploader that's currently in the car.  A couple of the HAMB members suggested this Gremlin trans with the Laycock de Normanville OD.  When one guy said he had 14 trouble free years with one behind his Hemi, I figured just about any Hemi would out-torque my 292 so I added that to my hunt...
The Laycocks were primarily used on Triumphs and MGs and Volvos.  AMC took a Borg Warner T-150 and had these Laycocks adapted and sold them in a couple models for a couple of years as their OD option.  I was fortunate enough to find one and now I have a local guru going through mine.  The story goes that Laycock eventually went out of business and what is now Gear Vendors bought them out, beefed up the design and are now selling retrofit kits for popular trannies that are rated over 1000 HP.  
This transmission was described as being exactly what I have now, but with a Gear Vendors on it.  The case of my current tranny is exactly the same as this one and is running that Jeep top shifter cover on the trans already- one of the factors that led me to this trans- I wouldn't need to cut up my floor.  The shifter sits perfectly now so I didn't want to risk changing anything in that tiny Model A interior.  
miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Keep us posted on how that works out. Even though they’re kind of rare, the synchro low gear and Laycock units just seems like a perfect combo for a torquey Y block in a light A. The top shift is the icing on the cake. I’ve got a T-5 and a TKO 500 behind y blocks, but that one is just so “period” correct even if it’s a 70’s set up.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter