Profile Picture

Is this the right distributor?

Posted By B-rad Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
MAXX 99387R Billet Electronic Distributo​r​ Ford Mercury 256 272 292 312 Y-Block. On ebay.
Wanting to change out the distributor and oil pump for my 54 Lincoln Capri 317 engine. I bought a oil pump for a 55-64 Ford and looking at this distributor to go with it. I hope someone can let me know if these are the right parts. I didn't get a carb on the engine and broke the distributor taking it out so it seemed to be a good opportunity to upgrade. Is there anything else I need to be concerned about when swapping out?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
Dobie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I think you will need to use the distributor drive gear from the original unit. Seems to me I heard that the gear is unique to the Lincoln Y-block. Hopefully someone who knows more about it will see this and chime in.
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Other than the distributor gear, the Y distributor works in the LYB engines.

When switching from the tang style distributor/oil pump combination to the hex drive distributor/oil pump combination, you will also need to convert from the tang intermediate distributor drive shaft to the ¼” hex style distributor drive.  The Melling number for the shaft you need is IS-60A.

I am told that the 390/428 FE Ford distributor gear is the same as the LYB.  That would make sense as the FE was the engine family that replaced the LYB engines.  If you can post the number of teeth on your current LYB distributor gear as well as the outside diameter as measured with a dial caliper, I can compare that to the FE distributors on hand.  With that information, it can be determined if a FE gear is a direct fit for your particular application.  Using the FE gear would allow you to keep the original distributor intact as a reference for installing a different gear on the replacement distributor.

When reinstalling the gear on the distributor, it is critical that it be installed in the correct location.  If installed too low, the gear will be in a bind and ‘eat’ itself up.  I do a number of distributor gear swaps and find it easier to measure the distributor cavity in the block and then install the gear at the appropriate location on the distributor shaft.  More on that when you get closer to actually doing that.

Here’s the link to a previous discussion on converting the LYB distributors and oil pumps.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost161551.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)

Thanks Ted. But I'm still confused about how the pump and distributor work together. I've seen videos where the pump is directly beneath the distributor and I can see the interaction, but the lyb pump is coming in from the side of the block and not under the distributor shaft. So if they're perpendicular to each other, how does the dist turn the shaft?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
charliemccraney
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 9 hours ago
The centerline of the distributor shaft and the centerline of the oil pump drive gear are directly inline.  The distributor does not directly drive the oil pump.  A drive shaft is between the two.  Any video showing direct interaction is a video of something other than a Y block.

They may appear to be at an angle relative to one another because the oil pump mounts to the same plane as the oil pan

Lawrenceville, GA
B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yeah, I found a diagram of them interacting. I'd still like to know if the electric distributor will work on this engine. It sounds like it should but I'd like to know for sure before I buy it. I put the info about it on my first post.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
charliemccraney
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 9 hours ago
The short answer, as the distributor is supplied, is no.

The long answer is maybe.  It's possible no one will have that answer for you.  Assuming that the external dimensions of the distributor do not interfere with any part of the engine externally, it will fit into the engine if a Lincoln Drive gear is swapped onto it and a hex drive oil pump along with a hex driveshaft are used.
The distributor electronics are probably intended for a 12v system so you will have to ask the seller if it will work with a 6v system.

Lawrenceville, GA
B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Didn't even think about voltage. Thanks. I already bought the oil pump and shaft. Have the old distributor gear ready. I found someone on here willing to sell me a good used distributor but about the cost of the new electronic ignition distributor. So I'd like a new one if it'll work. I will check with the seller of the new one to see if it'll work with 6 volt. I'm also planning on getting a 6v alternator in place of the genny.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I’d be inclined to buy a good used distributor, check it out, and rebuild if necessary. Put a PerTronix’s unit in it if you want electronics.

There just seems to be so many problems with various off shore and locally rebuilt (who was using the sbf core?, can’t remember) distributors. Maybe someone on here will vouch for one they’ve used with good results.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I appreciate the info. I'd also like to hear from others and their experiences with new electronic ignition distributors.b250 seems to be a lot for a good used distributor but I do want as few issues as I can get

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri

Reading This Topic

Site Meter