Profile Picture

FPA headers in 57 T Bird

Posted By slumlord444 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 days ago
I’m finishing up fabricating hooking up the headers to the mufflers and  noticed that on the drivers side the header is touching the metal pipe from the oil pan to the oil pump. Looks like it’s wedged in there. Anyone else ever had this problem or have any suggestions?

miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I don’t have that with the FPA’s on my 55 with the Mummert aluminum heads. I’m out of town, but I can get a look late this week. I know you don’t want to hear this, but I’d dimple the header tube for clearance if necessary. Vibration on tubing isn’t going to be good, and a dimple isn’t going to hurt performance on a full exhaust system.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I know a 57 "E-Code" owner who has FPA headers. I'll ask .
slumlord444
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

I have the Mummert heads if it makes a difference.  
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

I'm waiting for a reply from "Troy"; he doesn't have Mummert's aluminum heads, so you might want to ask John. 
slumlord444
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I plan on calling FPA tomorrow. I’m wondering if I can pry the header over enough with my crowbar without destroying anything? It won’t take much to get the header off of the oil tube. 
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Slumlord, if the headers are under warranty, any modification you do to make them fit probably will void the warranty. When you contact FPA, I would request any approval to alter/modify them to fit to be in writing. CYA! 
slumlord444
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks. Good idea.  
slumlord444
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Talked to FPA today. Never heard of this problem before. Suggested denting the header as a last resort. Suggested prying it away. Was able to easily get it to move but it keeps springing back. Will try a bigger pry bar tomorrow. If that doesn’t work I’ll try loosening the oil pipe and see if I can move it. Don’t need much. Just need a little clearance. If nothing else works I can always remove the header and put a dent in it. Won’t take much.  
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Your engine will move around a bit while running, accelerating/decelerating. You'll need more space than what's required when it's not running.  

Reading This Topic

Site Meter