Profile Picture

Anyone with a 1959 car, a Fairlane or Edsel, sporting a Y-Block that has done an AOD swap?

Posted By skyhunter 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Anyone with a 1959 car, a Fairlane or Edsel, sporting a Y-Block that...

Author
Question Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Looking to pick your brains as I am going this route.

Feel free to message.

1959 Edsel Ranger, 1916 Ford "speedster"
"I may not be a rich man, but I can give you a million dollars' worth of bad publicity."
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

The HAMB has a few and a 52-59 Ford social group under “brands” good luck. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
skyhunter
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)

Someone on the HAMB suggested I come here.  Now someone on here suggests there.

Odd

"I may not be a rich man, but I can give you a million dollars' worth of bad publicity."
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Hopefully, we can help.  Mostly engine related, but a lot of us have experience in other parts of the car.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

MoonShadow
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I did the AOD swap many years ago. Never unhappy with it. I used the Bendtsen adapter. Had a small problem with the inside diameter of the flywheel spacer that I'm sure is fixed by now. The shift cable can be a bit hard to get set correctly but the directions are clear. Do not drive before the TV cable is adjusted! An AOD can be ruined in a few blocks if the TV adjustment is off.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
skyhunter
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Do you mean the TV cable to the Carb?  I know that needs to be set right with a pressure gauge or the trans can burn up in as little as 5 miles.

What did you do for the shifter?  Were you able to use the column shift?  Which is what I want to use.  I just need to figure out how to attach the shifter rod bracket which attaches to the 2 speeds on a mount off the bellhousing.  

Don't think there is any option for OEM gas pedal and linkage to work??

miker
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
To start to address the shift linkage, what do you have. The easy assumption is a Fordo, which will have a P R N D L quadrant. I’ve never done a Fordo conversion, but I’ve done 2 and 3 speed autos to other 4 sp autos. Unless someone’s done your exact set up, it’s a matter of measurement and what you can live with. Getting P N R D is typically pretty easy. Getting 3 2 1 can be more difficult. The reverse lights and neutral/park safety switch are another issue.

The Throttle Valve cable is dependent on what carburetor you have. Most of the time I’ve been able to use the stock throttle from pedal to carburetor. The mount, attachment etc. of the cable was a separate add on.

If you’ve got a factory 4 barrel, and if they used a Holley on those models, finding a TV cable set up might be easy. But until all that’s known, it’s hard to answer the questions.

Give us a little more info, someone here (or the Barn or the HAMB social group) has probably done it before.

Every time I’ve changed from a 3 or especially a 2 speed auto to a 4 speed it’s been well worth the time and trouble. Most times I didn’t even change the rear gears.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

I’ve converted my 5 detent to a 6 for 3 forward positions and it was fairly easy. I don’t have a transmission with a TV cable. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
skyhunter
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

When I am on the HAMB all I see for forums are Traditional Hot Rods, Customs and a HA Message Board under General Discussion.
The Antiquated under Misc.
The Market Place
and Events.

No social groups, 50-59, or topics listed by Brands.  At least I can't find it.

Had to use a different label on there as it was NA.

skyhunter
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

miker (11/3/2022)
To start to address the shift linkage, what do you have. ...

I figured I would see if anyone did it before banging out a long post.  On other SMS a ton of people post unrelated comments about your question, offer unwanted opinions like "why do that, you should..."

I have a 292 with the aluminum cased 2 speed (PRNDL) Edsel called Mile-O-Matic and it's time to go.  According to the data plate the axle should have 3.10:1 but has this been changed in the 63 years.  Your guess is as good as mine.  PRND is all I ever use now, even on my new vehicle (although I did use 1 coming down the Mount Washington Auto Road). I don't know what Ford called for in the 80s when they came out with this but ask 2 people if it should be driven around in the 1st position Ⓓ and let it shift when it wants or the 2nd D and switch it manually when on a highway, and you get 3 different answers.

I have an Edelbrock now but using the old bracket and set up from the 2 BBL OEM Holley.  But the AOD uses a TV cable and not a kickdown rod I believe.  Lokar sells a TV and gas cable with a bracket mounted off the back stud of carb but then the OEM gas pedal needs to be replaced with their "cut a slot in the floor" pedal.

The 2-piece column shifter has a V shaped link that mounts on a post off the old bellhousing, so I have to figure out a bracket to hold a post on the AOD to use that set up which I prefer.  Was hoping someone already solved that puzzle that I could copy.  I do not want to have to go with a floor shift (which was their suggestion "just put in a floor shifter" Ha Ha 'Just' love that word "Just put in a 302 or Just put in disk brakes)"

Reading This Topic

Site Meter