Anyone with a 1959 car, a Fairlane or Edsel, sporting a Y-Block that has done an AOD swap?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic162495.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By skyhunter - 2 Years Ago
Looking to pick your brains as I am going this route.

Feel free to message.
By DryLakesRacer - 2 Years Ago
The HAMB has a few and a 52-59 Ford social group under “brands” good luck. 
Someone on the HAMB suggested I come here.  Now someone on here suggests there.

Odd
By paul2748 - 2 Years Ago
Hopefully, we can help.  Mostly engine related, but a lot of us have experience in other parts of the car.
By MoonShadow - 2 Years Ago
I did the AOD swap many years ago. Never unhappy with it. I used the Bendtsen adapter. Had a small problem with the inside diameter of the flywheel spacer that I'm sure is fixed by now. The shift cable can be a bit hard to get set correctly but the directions are clear. Do not drive before the TV cable is adjusted! An AOD can be ruined in a few blocks if the TV adjustment is off.

Do you mean the TV cable to the Carb?  I know that needs to be set right with a pressure gauge or the trans can burn up in as little as 5 miles.

What did you do for the shifter?  Were you able to use the column shift?  Which is what I want to use.  I just need to figure out how to attach the shifter rod bracket which attaches to the 2 speeds on a mount off the bellhousing.  

Don't think there is any option for OEM gas pedal and linkage to work??
By miker - 2 Years Ago
To start to address the shift linkage, what do you have. The easy assumption is a Fordo, which will have a P R N D L quadrant. I’ve never done a Fordo conversion, but I’ve done 2 and 3 speed autos to other 4 sp autos. Unless someone’s done your exact set up, it’s a matter of measurement and what you can live with. Getting P N R D is typically pretty easy. Getting 3 2 1 can be more difficult. The reverse lights and neutral/park safety switch are another issue.

The Throttle Valve cable is dependent on what carburetor you have. Most of the time I’ve been able to use the stock throttle from pedal to carburetor. The mount, attachment etc. of the cable was a separate add on.

If you’ve got a factory 4 barrel, and if they used a Holley on those models, finding a TV cable set up might be easy. But until all that’s known, it’s hard to answer the questions.

Give us a little more info, someone here (or the Barn or the HAMB social group) has probably done it before.

Every time I’ve changed from a 3 or especially a 2 speed auto to a 4 speed it’s been well worth the time and trouble. Most times I didn’t even change the rear gears.

I’ve converted my 5 detent to a 6 for 3 forward positions and it was fairly easy. I don’t have a transmission with a TV cable. 
When I am on the HAMB all I see for forums are Traditional Hot Rods, Customs and a HA Message Board under General Discussion.
The Antiquated under Misc.
The Market Place
and Events.

No social groups, 50-59, or topics listed by Brands.  At least I can't find it.

Had to use a different label on there as it was NA.

miker (11/3/2022)
To start to address the shift linkage, what do you have. ...

I figured I would see if anyone did it before banging out a long post.  On other SMS a ton of people post unrelated comments about your question, offer unwanted opinions like "why do that, you should..."

I have a 292 with the aluminum cased 2 speed (PRNDL) Edsel called Mile-O-Matic and it's time to go.  According to the data plate the axle should have 3.10:1 but has this been changed in the 63 years.  Your guess is as good as mine.  PRND is all I ever use now, even on my new vehicle (although I did use 1 coming down the Mount Washington Auto Road). I don't know what Ford called for in the 80s when they came out with this but ask 2 people if it should be driven around in the 1st position Ⓓ and let it shift when it wants or the 2nd D and switch it manually when on a highway, and you get 3 different answers.

I have an Edelbrock now but using the old bracket and set up from the 2 BBL OEM Holley.  But the AOD uses a TV cable and not a kickdown rod I believe.  Lokar sells a TV and gas cable with a bracket mounted off the back stud of carb but then the OEM gas pedal needs to be replaced with their "cut a slot in the floor" pedal.

The 2-piece column shifter has a V shaped link that mounts on a post off the old bellhousing, so I have to figure out a bracket to hold a post on the AOD to use that set up which I prefer.  Was hoping someone already solved that puzzle that I could copy.  I do not want to have to go with a floor shift (which was their suggestion "just put in a floor shifter" Ha Ha 'Just' love that word "Just put in a 302 or Just put in disk brakes)"

Sky…on the HAMB right under the red bar top there is a line with 6 icons. The second one with people heads. Tap on it, then “social forums” then “brands” then scroll to 1952-59 Ford Social Group and join it. 
It’s the most active one on HAMB.
Between here and them I’ve fixed everything on my Ford.good luck. Many have done your conversion.
DryLakesRacer (11/4/2022)
Sky…on the HAMB right under the red bar top there is a line with 6 icons. The second one with people heads. Tap on it, then “social forums” then “brands” then scroll to 1952-59 Ford Social Group and join it. 
It’s the most active one on HAMB.
Between here and them I’ve fixed everything on my Ford.good luck. Many have done your conversion.

Thanks.  Honestly that should all be on the same front wall under forums with its own category called Social Forums.  Who has time to search all around to find out what is where.  I used to get emails to tell me I had answers to my thread, but they stopped.  I have forgotten what site I posted what questions LOL

By MoonShadow - 2 Years Ago
Since I had to run a TV cable to the carb I just went with two cables and changed the foot pedal for the gas. I'm running a 750 Holley so I bought the hookup adapter for the TV plus gas cable. Works great no problems. Of course I'm not a Concourse type anyway.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/eb53f085-774b-4219-a683-a6aa.jpg
Either am I as you can see.  But I am wary of a rectangular hole on the firewall open to the elements and such.

Did you use a Lokar Eliminator?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/dc0db2f9-186a-4a18-ae19-b226.jpg 
By charliemccraney - 2 Years Ago
skyhunter (11/4/2022)
Either am I as you can see.  But I am wary of a rectangular hole on the firewall open to the elements and such.

Could you make some sort of filler plate to bolt or screw on, possibly using existing screws or bolts?
But the problem is this Yuge lever needs to travel inside the opening.

It also needs to mount on the angle and not the flat of the floor.  What are the chances I will also need their $50 spacer, so it does not bottom out on the angle before going full throttle.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3c4e7a3e-42fc-43da-ad5c-3f01.jpg
By charliemccraney - 2 Years Ago
Do you have to use a floor mount pedal?  There are firewall mount options that hang more like modern vehicles.  A stock pedal can probably be modified as well but I don't have a car to look at for any ideas about how to do that.  For that matter, does the throttle have to be cable actuated?  Could the existing linkage be made to work?  I would guess that the throttle does not care how it is actuated but there are details I don't know that might make that false.
I am hoping I can use the Lokar bracket off the carb to run the TV cable and the OEM rod and pedal to run the gas.

Looks like they will not interfere with each other, but I do not have the bracket yet to know for sure.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ef61abe-8201-495a-bd39-2729.jpg

By miker - 2 Years Ago
I’ve used this style Lokar throttle which is a firewall mount on 2 builds. Put where you want it, works good. Should work with the TV bracket. Comes in black, couple different sizes. I looked at the thru floor but had the same concerns you do.

Pretty car. If the rear gears are 3.3x or lower (higher numerically) the AOD should be perfect. Having a real low makes a huge difference, as does the o/d.
By Deyomatic - 2 Years Ago
I was thinking that a spoon pedal might work well, also....then just make it work.
By PF Arcand - 2 Years Ago
I'm confused as to what transmission you are referring too?  You made reference to an Edsel trans (1958-59 & a maybe a few 60's).. then to an 80s transmission?. Original Fordomatics from 1951 - up thru 1958 (I believe) are actually 3  spd transmissions, with low range by select, unless floored from stopped.. Then your explanation about never using low range except down a a steep hill, why?  And is your trans now defective?. Sorry you lost me...        
By Ted - 2 Years Ago
From what Dennis has mentioned, he has the Ford two speed automatic and is wanting to switch it out to a modern overdrive automatic transmission.  Not sure if he has the Ford-O-Matic or the true two speed automatic but in this case does not make much difference as he is wanting to upgrade to an OD auto trans.  My ’62 Fairlane with a 292 had the two-speed auto trans.
By Deyomatic - 2 Years Ago
PF- I was on the same page.  Tonight was the first time his full title appeared for me and it says he wants to use an AOD tranny.  Before today it didn't say anything about the AOD on my screen.
By miker - 2 Years Ago
While you’re poking around the Lokar site for throttle and TV cables, you might have a look at this shift cable for columns. Might work, might only be an idea to look at.

https://www.lokar.com/auto-trans-access-parts.html
By bird55 - 2 Years Ago
skyhunter (11/4/2022)
But the problem is this Yuge lever needs to travel inside the opening.

It also needs to mount on the angle and not the flat of the floor.  What are the chances I will also need their $50 spacer, so it does not bottom out on the angle before going full throttle.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3c4e7a3e-42fc-43da-ad5c-3f01.jpg

I used this option for the throttle when I did my AOD in my 55 bird. I too was reluctant to use it but it has worked out very well. I also used their additional floor mount spacer under the foot pedal to get the correct angle. All this took some head-scratching and over-ordering of some parts but basically, that's hotrod 101. You will have to do some figuring and adapting. But in the end, I believe you can make it work. And work well. I was originally told I would not be able to make my stock bird floor shifter work, but lo and behold I figured it out. Again, works great. Made my own bracket for the manifold for the trans and throttle too. Looks better and works better than Lokars flimsy mount I think. IMHO! Here is a pic of both. the angle of the throttle thru the firewall is hard to see, sorry. It is actually better than the factory ford throttle setup. I'll have to see if I can look and see how it is insulated from the engine bay as I can't honestly cannot recall. But like I said I have zero issues with it.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1536e539-418d-476f-aaa4-253a.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/759489ea-89a1-4a0a-9ae2-b162.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a26b3df3-e164-435e-a43e-5699.jpg
Funny, sometimes I get notifications via email that I have responses and sometimes not.  So, I did not see this latest run till now.  I think with all the suggestions I may have this figured out, or at least a better look at it for now.

Yes Ted, it's the aluminum cased 2 speed OEM trans that was used for a few years on FoMoCo products.  The one with the odd shaped trans pan gasket #18109 and not #18106 trans gasket that almost all auto parts give you when you ask for a 59 Edsel with a 292 automatic trans.  

I am going to try and use the Lokar t.v. cable set up using their bracket off the back carb base bolt and the OEM throttle set up with a trimmed down stock bracket and the rod attached to the Lokar selector shaft and arm at the bottom end and the t.v cable set up per their instructions.   I just need to make a bracket to hold a post for the OEM shift rods to piviot off of like they do the Mile-O-Matic now.

Only question I have left is how did you all mate up the AOD neutral safety switch into the stock column?  I have not had a functioning NSS for a long time and would be nice to not have to check (with my OCD) a dozen times that is it actually in park before starting the car. 

I, more often than not begin or end a day riding to a show or what not finding myself in a driving rain and that opening is what gives me pause.  Some type of a rubber boot would be better than that big opening that in their own web site shows plenty of carpeting exposed to work as a sponge.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/99780c1a-5b84-45c1-9896-d228.jpg
By bird55 - 2 Years Ago
Yes, that was my concern also. I believe I have a rubber gasket in there, but can't recall exactly. No leaks there though that is confirmed. That would be a terrible compromise.
By PF Arcand - 2 Years Ago
Don't know if this info is helpful at this point ? But the poster describes the Fordomatic in his car as a  2 speed, but lists the shifts as PRNDL. This is a common misconception, it's not a 2 spd transmission!. But, low has to be selected or forced excellerater shifted. There's nothing preventing using low range for normal drivng. For instance, shifting to low range at stop, starting out & then shifting to drive at say 25 mph will select 2nd gear or Drive, depending on throttle position. Or, from a start in low, at above 25 mph, shift to Drive & "immediatly" back to low range, locking the trans in 2nd gear until you return to Drive or it's forced shifted out at high speed.. Caution however, best to shift up to Drive when slowing to under 25mph, to avoid a hard low gear downshift...

P.S.- Have been reminded that with the introduction of Ford's later Auto transmissions, beginning in 1959, the Fordo's were reduced to being 2 spds similar to GM's Powerslide transmissions.. But I've never encountered one.. 
By Ted - 2 Years Ago
PF Arcand (11/25/2022)
Don't know if this info is helpful at this point ? But the poster describes the Fordomatic in his car as a 2 speed, but lists the shifts as PRNDL. This is a common misconception, it's not a 2 spd transmission!. .....

Dennis (aka Skyhunter) mentions that the transmission body is aluminum.  That makes his transmission the 2 speed model and not the Ford-O-Matic.  While those two speed automatics were durable and could take a lot of abuse, they were considered sluggish in the performance department.  I had one in a 1961 Fairlane with a 292 and can vouch for the sluggishness.