Profile Picture

Thinking about a T5...What do I need?

Posted By Deyomatic 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Right now, I've got a '59 292 in my '30 Model A Coupe.  The transmission is a 3 speed toploader from the early '60s (non-synchro'd reverse).  I THINK it's the wide ratio transmission because there seems to be a big difference between 2nd and 3rd.
The rear is a Dana 41 with 4.27:1 gearing.  The tires are 29.5" tall.

On the highway it's spinning at 3200 or so at 65 mph.  In Second Gear, at around 30 mph in town it's also spinning close to 3000.  

Anyway...I originally thought about getting a 9" rear with more reasonable gearing in it, but then it may not be as fun.  Doing the math with a T-5, with two extra gears, and one of them an OD, I think it would be a better option.  

1.  What would I need to make this work?  Clutch Parts, adapters, etc.?  
2.  Anyone know how much further back my shifter would be coming from a toploader?
3.  Anything else that I'm overlooking?
miker
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
This thread is 19 pages long. But the first couple pages gets you started. Well worth reading and referring back to.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-ultimate-t-5-article.171291/

I’ve got a WC T-5 behind a 320 stoker in my 55 bird, and a TKO 500 behind the 340 F code clone in my roadster. All the adapter parts came from Mummert, and they all went together fine. There’s some options now that weren’t available time (17-18 years ago) that I did mine. You’ll find that a John’s site . In an A, you’ll want the T5. The TKO was overkill in my 32, and a b….. to fit in.

http://www.ford-y-block.com/

Various models used different shifter locations, sometimes you can swap tailshafts and modify that. The HAMB article address it.

Different models had different torque ratings. That’s in the HAMB article. You’ll need to look at that in terms of your driving style and rear tires. A good 292 with wide tires will hurt a low torque model if you spend a lot of time hammering it.

The big deal is the gear ratios. With a 4.27 rear, even with tall tires, you don’t need the deep first gears, and some are really deep. You’ll probably want a taller 5th. Both mine have 2.9? 1st, and 0.8 5th. In both cases I should have used a little deeper (bigger number) 1st and the 0.68 or so 5th. Yblock have pretty good torque curves, and I didn’t account for that (and mine are stroker motors). But the close ratios are fun to play around with.

It’s very doable, will be a great combination, and all the problems can be pretty easily solved. Just some research and home work, and a clear idea of where you want to end up.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Joe-JDC
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 9 minutes ago
You will need a  T-5 from a 87-93 Fox mustang, or buy a world class T-5Z, 292 car bell housing, Mummert adapter, clutch disc for T-5 spline 11", C-4 transmission yoke for the drive shaft, 57-59 Fairlane speedometer cable, custom drive shaft, '66 289 C-4 transmission mount, pilot bushing, throw out bearing.  You can use the stock Ford flywheel, pressure plate.  I used a Hurst Competition plus shifter for Corvette/Impala but you can search the site for all the variable shifters and their handles.  Joe-JDC

JDC
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

With the T5s 2.95/3.35 1st gear, you won't be in first very long/w 4.27 gears. Depending on their axle ratio, some Fox Body Mustang drag racers launched in 2nd gear. 1982 5.0 Mustangs were equipped with a 4-speed transmission, but 4th was OD. I'm sure it had a taller 1st than the T5. I don't know the nomenclature for that transmission or it's torque rating, but it might better suit you (if you can find one). I wouldn't consider any T5 that wasn't designed for a V8. 
Deyomatic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)

I'll have to check out that HAMB post.  Thanks.  It's bookmarked now.  I really don't know what I'm going to do, yet.  

Thanks for all the info, gents.  I was ONLY going to find a World Class model.  Not that my 292 is a torque monster by ANY stretch, but why take the chance.  
I would LOVE to know more about that 4 speed OD model, I have only "researched" one but it didn't look like a strong option.   

I have had ZERO luck getting any contact back from Mummert.  I've tried to buy two things from him in the past couple of months and have still not gotten a call or an email back.  I am not trying to say anything bad about him because it's great that he's making and selling stuff for us,  just saying I wish I could purchase through the website.  
Anyone know anything about the MDL (Modern Drive Line) adapter?

As for the bellhousing- how do I tell which one I already have?
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

The transmission used in the 1982 Mustang 5.0 is the SROD. Ford also used 4-speed transmissions/w OD in the Granada and in trucks. Those transmissions were based on the Toploader. Here is where I found the information: vintage-mustang.com/threads/srod-other-4-speed-od.364835/

Sorry, but for whatever reason, I couldn't attach the link.

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
The strongest T5's are from the late 80's early 90's 5.0 Mustangs. I purchased my adaptor from MDL.  MDL also designed and manufactures a very high quality extension housing for the T5 that moves the shift lever about 4 - 5" ? forward. Both above items fit and worked excellent. I can't find the pictures I have but couple years ago I did post them on this forum. Good luck with this, it will be well worth the effort.

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
miker
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
The vintage mustang link 55blacktie posted is well worth reading. I had one of the ford 4sp over’s in my bird for a while. With 4:11’s and a little smaller tire (26”), I found myself shifting into 2nd in the Safeway parking lot, and I don’t drive fast in parking lots.

I did the change to get a synchro 1st gear. Everywhere I go in the greater Seattle area is 500 ft downhill, and 500 ft uphill coming home. In heavy traffic on the hills, the non synchro first in the T-86, and constantly trying to double clutch down just became a pain.

The .8 or so o/d is not as nice as the .7 in the T-86 I took out of the car. I ended up with a T-5, and 3.73 rear gears in the Dana 44.

Changing the gears in the Dana is a pain, and I don’t know what’s available or interchanges between a 41 and a 44. So look at all the ratios closely. Adjust based on your usage.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Deyomatic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for all of the continued information...
I am thinking that if I don't start buying parts, I'll never do it.  

Is it possible to ID my bellhousing from these photos?  I like the MDL website, and while some of their transmission offerings seem a bit pricey, they also seem to have some nice options that would make installation simpler.
Here are my photos...http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ffe4cd07-aa2b-4e1e-8228-6699.jpg
Deyomatic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8872f003-6ad2-44d8-a7ec-b60f.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2ed1bfc6-812c-47ba-ab8b-35e6.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a90e7046-1ee6-4001-a36a-eaa7.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter