Profile Picture

Knocking sound ID

Posted By peeeot 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
As long as I’ve owned my Crestline, there has been a knocking noise evident at idle. It is relatively minor, but consistent. As soon as engine speed increases a bit it is drowned out by fan noise, etc, so it doesn’t get any louder and the only time I can ever perceive it is below about 1000 rpm. It seems to be most audible near the timing cover. It does not sound like any kind of valve train noise. It has not changed at all over the 2-3000 miles I have driven since purchase. Changing oil viscosity from 10w-30 to 15w-40 has made no difference.

What does this sound like to you?

1954 Crestline Victoria 312 4-bbl, 3-speed overdrive
darrell
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
could be the fuel pump you need to get a hose if you dont have anything else put it to your ear and search for the noise.
2721955meteor
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
remove the oil filter cut it open if it is a spin on put the metal end in the vice, take a good carpenter chisel and cut around so you can remove the paper element.no cuttings in the paper your isue is not fatal. then get your hose  and listen to the fuel pump, then check valve clearance
peeeot
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)Supercharged (780 reputation)

I used a long screwdriver as a stethoscope and probed around. I do not believe it’s the fuel pump. The sound is strong on timing cover, block, head, exhaust manifold all local to cylinder #1. Holding the screwdriver near the head gasket surface on the head, I believe I could actually feel the knock slightly in the handle of the screwdriver. The further from cylinder #1 I get, the less I hear it.

I’m pretty sure I cut open my last oil filter a few months ago and saw no shavings or cause for alarm. I can revisit valve adjustment soon but I feel like this is something else; I’ve heard loose y-block valves before.

darrell
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

a lot of knock ive heard on y blocks is from worn or spun rod bushings.that is wrist pin bushings.ive seen them go for years like that.
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Is it a Fordomatic ?  The ears on the flex plate  have known to loosen up and make a knocking  sound

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

peeeot
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

It's a 3-speed/overdrive.
Is there any way to determine whether it's wrist pin knock, short of dropping the oil pan and wiggling things?  

30 coupe
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)

With the engine running at idle, pull the plug wire off the cylinder you suspect the noise is coming from.  If the noise goes away, or is greatly reduced, it is likley a wrist pin, or piston slap. does the noise get any quieter as the eng. warms up to operating temp? pull the plug wires off one at a time to find the offending cylinder.
Florida_Phil
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Don't panic. I built my current TBird engine about three years ago and have driven it about 4,000 miles.  My engine was a total rebuilt with new pistons, valve train and a standard crank from a 40,000 mile 1957 Ford station wagon.  Since then, I have had a plethora of knocking sounds, some of them quite troubling.  They all turned out to be minor issues from a bad fuel pump, a corroded intake manifold exhaust crossover, PCV issues, exhaust leaks and even a bad fan belt.  It all comes with owning an old car.  Blink

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

peeeot
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I tried pulling the #1 plug wire with no effect on the knocking. I will try checking the others later today.

It’s been colder today and I noticed that the knock was less significant than usual when the engine was cold. It seems warming up to operating temperature makes the knock louder rather than quieter.

As soon as I can pull plug wires and check valve lash I’ll post back with any findings.

Oh, one other observation: I drove to work today with a vacuum gauge hooked up. Readings were very good, but there was some minor needle flutter pretty often, especially while accelerating through the 1500-2000 rpm range. Hopefully my valves haven’t already tightened up too much, it’s only been a few thousand miles and I use lead substitute.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter