Profile Picture

4 blade fans improve air worth the switch

Posted By Melly 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 days ago
Is there a great improvement going from 3 baled fan to a 4 blade?  Or is there something else I should do as in slow speed the heat start to rise but does not over heat. 
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I'm putting an 18" 6-blade, heavy-duty fan on my 55 Tbird. A bigger fan/w more blades will pull more air. Having a shroud that fits well will help to keep the air flowing through the radiator. Ted Eaton believes that more rows of tubes within the radiator can restrict air flow through the radiator. He prefers fewer, but larger tubes/w more space between them. Having said that, the 55-57 Tbirds left the factory with 3-row radiators. I intend to install a 4-row copper & brass radiator, but aluminum radiators are becoming more popular; generally, they are cheaper, people like them, but they can't be repaired if they leak. 

I know someone who is on his 3rd aluminum radiator. The first lasted 10 years. The 2nd, which was a custom application for a 302 Windsor-powered 55 Tbird cost $1,000 and lasted 3 years. The radiator he has now cost less, but too soon to call what it's life expectancy will be. All 3 have been effective in keeping it cool/w the first two until they failed.

If you don't care about originality, you might want to consider an electric fan. If you have a/c, you might want to run a mechanical puller fan and an electric pusher fan between the grill and radiator. Wire the electric fan, so you can turn it off when it's not needed.

I think it was Florida Phil that said he is running both mechanical and electric puller fans between the radiator and engine on his 55 Tbird. 

DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
You don’t say the model of the vehicle. I fought a cooling problem with my 56 Victoria and tried many remedies and band aid fixes. It occurred when city driving in traffic. I use a Cool Craft brass-copper next one above stock replacement. 
The final permanent fix was a1969 Mustang 302 waterpump pulley which is smaller than my y-blocks and moved water in the radiator at idle which the stock one would not do. 
The other fixes that did help was a fan shroud from a company in Texas, the stock panel that sealed the front radiator mount and radiator to the hood, and a 6 blade fan. 
The car now has AC and cooling has so far not been a problem like it was. The pulley and.and a pulley spacer kit consisting of 3-4 thin spacers for behind the pulley to line-up the belt was from Summit. The pulley was chrome, I painted it black. Good luck. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Joe-JDC
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

If you folks install aluminum radiators, aluminum timing covers, aluminum heads, or aluminum intake manifolds, you should consider using anti-freeze that is designed for aluminum parts.  If you don't you will have a short lived radiator, or corroded aluminum engine part.  Joe-JDC

JDC
Deyomatic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (619 reputation)Supercharged (619 reputation)Supercharged (619 reputation)Supercharged (619 reputation)Supercharged (619 reputation)Supercharged (619 reputation)Supercharged (619 reputation)Supercharged (619 reputation)Supercharged (619 reputation)

My "running hot" issues were fixed first by installing the Mustang fan mentioned above, and when I realized there was no thermostat, using the Napa #6 170 Degree High Flow thermostat.  That thermostat is a lot better than the others I tried.  A LOT.  

Good luck.  
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

As long as the effort of changing fans is contemplated, and originality not an issue, I suggest a clutch fan.  While it won’t really effect cooling (compared to a solid-mount example), power loss & risk of damage at high RPMs is minimized.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Clutch fans don't slip/fail? How do they minimize risk of damage at high rpm? They cost considerably more than a clutchless mechanical fan. 
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Melly…..a test to see if your water pump is moving water thru the radiator is, when cold remove the rad cap and make sure the coolant is 1” low. Start the engine and allow for it to heat up to normal on your gauge or it using a temp gun check at the thermostat at housing for a higher temp than the thermostat. If an automatic car make sure it’s in drive with the e-brake on. 
Look in the rad for movement. If you see little to none slightly raise the idle maybe 100 rpm and look again. If you see movement go back to idle, if it stops, your engine will never cool at idle in traffic. Mine did this and a member on this site suggested the water pump pulley which cured the temperature creep I had. I’m sure I could go back to a 4 or 5 blade fan and remove the 6. 
There are those who say not to do this because of pump cavitation if you drive at a continuous 4500 rpm that may be a problem.  My engine rarely sees 3000. Hyway driving is 23-2500. Goodluck. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

If you're going to check for coolant flow while your car is running and in gear, I would make sure you've got someone sitting in the driver's seat while you do it.
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Amen

55blacktie (6/7/2022)
If you're going to check for coolant flow while your car is running and in gear, I would make sure you've got someone sitting in the driver's seat while you do it.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter