Profile Picture

Flowkooler vs. Casco Water Pump

Posted By 55blacktie 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
CASCO has the 170 big mouth, I use it with a 6 lb. cap which had a big impact on curing an annoying bypass hose leak.

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
Florida_Phil
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I bought mine from NPD.  Their warehouse is close to my home.  They sell both 170 and 180 degree large opening thermostats.  Their part numbers are T-8575-3 and T-8575-1A respectively.  Before I purchased my Tbird, a previous owner had used a torch to smoke two large holes in the reflector shield below and in front of the radiator.  I assume it was to improve cooling?  After much searching and two day's work, I was able to replace this shield with a part from another TBird. Cutting holes in the panels does nothing but make things worse. Worse yet is removing the thermostat entirely. Back in the early sixties, my family had a 1957 Ford Custom as a family car that I drove on dates.  My girl friend had a 1954 Ford her parents bought her.  All my close friends drove Y-Block powered cars, some stock some modified. We all carried a bottle of water in the trunk as a precaution against overheating.  It's nothing new.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I think they left the assembly line with a 160 thermostat. On other vehicles, 160 would be on the cold side. If overheating is not an issue, I would go with 180.
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 6:53:01 AM
I thought the original T-Bird factory thermostat was a 160 or 165 (?).  Likely the longevity advantages of hotter min. running temp wasn’t thoroughly appreciated yet, or they may have thought the wider temp. window would provide a cushion from overheating (?), since the car’s design tended toward that.  Probably why it came with a higher cap pressure.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Thanks.. looked up NAPA THM6 and it said it was made by Moto-Rad. Since all my cooling problems seem to be behind me I want to raise the temp up from the 160 high flow that’s now installed. Not even positive on what straightened it out but since the heads were off and everything cleaned the temp no longer wanders up and down in traffic. When starting cold it goes right to 160* and stays solid. Now I’d like to raise it at least to what was stock when new. I left off the two lower deflector panel behind the radiator to the pan and frame but can’t see them making that much difference. Thanks for the info..

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
paul2748
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

These are wide mouth stats
NAPA THM6 (#6) 170 degree
Mr. Gasket 4367 (Not sure of the temp rating)
Moto Rad 320-170 (170 degree)  I am using one of these now, no peoblems
I'm sure there are others

DryLakesRacer (5/8/2022)
Florida-Phil.. where do you find a 170* wide mouth or hi flow thermostat? I know the stock Ford was 170 but I would rather have the higher flow. Thanks. 

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Casco.
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

DANIEL TINDER (5/8/2022)
55blacktie (5/7/2022)
Daniel, what other improvements (if any) have you made to cooling system? Do you think the Casco pump helps? I have a 55 Tbird (engine won't be stock when rebuilt).

70% poly coolant, Zero pressure, big thermostat.  Never overheats.

Forgot. Also, CASCO fiber shroud & 6 blade clutch fan.

DANIEL TINDER
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

55blacktie (5/7/2022)
Daniel, what other improvements (if any) have you made to cooling system? Do you think the Casco pump helps? I have a 55 Tbird (engine won't be stock when rebuilt).

70% poly coolant, Zero pressure, big thermostat.  Never overheats.

DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Florida-Phil.. where do you find a 170* wide mouth or hi flow thermostat? I know the stock Ford was 170 but I would rather have the higher flow. Thanks. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter