Profile Picture

Flowkooler vs. Casco Water Pump

Posted By 55blacktie 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Is anyone using either of these water pumps? I have the 1st gen. Casco pump/w riveted impeller. I'm considering replacing it with either Casco's 2nd gen. pump/w 1-piece cast impeller or Flowkooler's pump. I don't like the thought of the riveted impeller coming apart on Casco's 1st gen. pump. I suppose that's why Casco upgraded to a 1-piece impeller. 
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Likely 30-40K on my riveted pump.  No problem yet.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Daniel, what other improvements (if any) have you made to cooling system? Do you think the Casco pump helps? I have a 55 Tbird (engine won't be stock when rebuilt).
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Don’t know on theThunderbirds but the smaller water pump pulley from a 67-8 Mustang 302 assures water movement thru the radiator at idle with the thermostat open; a problem with some full size cars. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Here are some random thoughts based on my experiences with both pumps.

The Flowkooler water pumps have the shorter impellor which allows that particular pump to fit the car and truck timing covers.  That impellor is spaced slightly further back than the factory impellor which likely improves the water flow but that impellor being spaced ever so lightly further back does create an issue with the Mummert aluminum timing cover which has a slightly shallower timing cover cavity.  I’ve had to put those aluminum timing covers in the milling machine and deepen the cavity just enough so that the Flowkooler pumps would turn without interference.  While those pumps work well in the car and truck applications, there’s still a 1” space between the impellor and the back of the timing cover cavity which still creates a water flow issue at low rpm.  Smaller diameter water pump pulleys do help in these cases but for cooling systems that are marginal, that may not be a cure all.

The Casco pumps are designed specifically for the Thunderbird engines where the one inch water pump spacer is being used.  That particular pump does have the extended length impellor and will not work in car or truck applications with the stock timing covers.  That extended pump impellor allows for a much improved coolant flow at low rpm.  The Casco pump in conjunction with the Paragon Industries one inch water pump spacer would appear to be the best fix out there for the Thunderbird heating issue that seems to be prevalent when doing parade duty.  Where the budget allows it, I recommend both the Casco pump and the Paragon water pump spacer for the Thunderbird engines.

While the early design Casco pump does have an impellor that is attached using rivets, the latest design does have a specially cast impellor which does away with the rivets.  I have seen the early model Casco pumps where the rivets were loose and while failure might have been imminent with those loose rivets, I have yet to see or hear of one of those failures actually occurring.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

312YBlock
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

I know of one individual who was in Arizona on a cross country drive with a T-Bird utilizing the 1st generation CASCO riveted impeller. One of the blades broke off.

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
Florida_Phil
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I purchased a Casco Thunderbird water pump for my Tbird last summer.  The cooling fins are deeper which takes up the open space created by the spacer. I assume my pump was the newer style, but I didn't notice.  This was one of the best upgrades I have done to my car.  I have a wide mouth 170 degree thermostat, an aluminum Champion radiator and an electric fan. My car never boils over even in Florida summer traffic. I am running the stock water pump pulley.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks, Ted, just what I needed to hear. I bought Chris's wp spacer; Chris is a nice guy, who will talk you ear off, if you let him. 

312, I guess that broken impeller confirms what I feared. I can think of no other reason for Casco to replace it.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Florida-Phil.. where do you find a 170* wide mouth or hi flow thermostat? I know the stock Ford was 170 but I would rather have the higher flow. Thanks. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

55blacktie (5/7/2022)
Daniel, what other improvements (if any) have you made to cooling system? Do you think the Casco pump helps? I have a 55 Tbird (engine won't be stock when rebuilt).

70% poly coolant, Zero pressure, big thermostat.  Never overheats.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter