New Member- lurker for a long time 1957 292 Country Sedan

Posted By abelugo 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

New Member- lurker for a long time 1957 292 Country Sedan

Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 days ago
Hi, 
I have known about this forum for years.
I now officially daily drive a Y-block- so might as well join up and learn more.

I bought a 1957 Ford Country Sedan with a 292 /FOM Bought in Dec, flew out to  Boulder Colorado, drover back to Los Angeles over 4 days.
Its a good driver, not a perfect car, but great for what I needed. I like rolling projects, but this one just has some finicky small things to clean up.

I been driving about 2-3 times a week to work. Then here and there for small cruises, etc.

The engine does great.  It does burn some oil but I keep an eye on it. 

Anyhow I'd post a pics but dont know how to do that yet, I have posted it in the HAMB social group and on the wagons thread in the HAMB- same username with a space
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/station-wagons-just-hamber-owned.1025598/page-17#post-14394773
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachments/5f02d88f-5ca0-4bc3-acfc-082ef96d4abb-jpeg.5325567/

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7da7fe4f-a135-4371-a32a-9b58.jpg  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d1a4df7f-9fbd-46d2-8018-a31d.jpg  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/baea4b3b-0cc8-4745-87a5-ce72.jpg  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0de987d2-b18b-4451-af29-6ee8.jpg  
Deyomatic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Beautiful wagon, Abe.  Welcome.  
62bigwindow
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Nice wagon. Welcome to the group.

Durham Missouri
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Abe.  Welcome to the site.  That ’57 looks good.  It's been awhile since I’ve seen a station wagon of any variety on the road so your ’57 is definitely a novelty.

That had to have been quite the adventure to drive an older car that you know little about and hit the road with it.  That story would be a good one for The Y-Block Magazine.  Bruce Young (the editor) is always looking for material so keep that in mind.

Here is the link to some basic instructions on how to post pictures on this forum.
Picture & Link Posting Instructions. Link to YBF Home page is here also. (y-blocksforever.com)

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Daniel Jessup
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Abe - thanks for the post. There are quite a few members on the site who helped me years ago when I joined, and the good thing is these fellas have stayed at it and have been a wealth of knowledge for me to keep my Y Block on the road and running well. The spirit here tends to be pretty good when compared to other sites - you don't see a lot of nonsense and all the rest. LA traffic has got to be a hoot with that 57. I have been through LA traffic only twice in my life and I have to say it was quite the experience!

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
No guts….drive in it every day since 1960.. as once said “a man’s got to know his limitations”….C.E. 

Welcome and have fun…seems like we loose them all the time going East…sometimes as far Northeast as Sweden. When they are visiting So Cal I have to beat them off with broom. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
abelugo, if your car had been sitting for a long time, I would take a look at the valve-guide seals. Also, I'm sure you have oil leaks.

As far as L.A. drivers are concerned, they are no worse than northern California drivers; maybe better, because they've been dealing with gridlock longer. 
slumlord444
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Thats a really nice wagon. I had a dark green and white 2 door wagon many years ago. Its one of several cars I wish I still had. 
abelugo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
Thanks for the Welcome wagon! Haha- yeah that a good idea for the valve guide seals, I'll have to plan for it.

Unfortunately it looks like the 57Fordever forum is down now.  Maybe just some maintenance going on?  anyhow there was another guy with a '57 in Austria that has an extensive build and maintenance  thread on his 292. 

The wagon does burn/leak some oil over about 600-800 miles.  It does look like there is blow back or whatever its call in the engine compartment, I'll have to post a pic, I saw a thread about it and most everyone suggested the PVC conversion.

BTW this wagon was originally an Oregon wagon, possible own by the previous owner of Dearborn Classic a little more than 10 years ago.

The seller said he successfully ran it across state lines for long trips to the west coast, etc. 

LA traffic at least my route seems to be ok on the wagon. I really need to go in and grease all the suspension. I have a few smaller fixes to do as time goes on.
PF Arcand
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Abelgo: You mentioned blow back or whatever?.. Make sure the Oil Fill Cap screen is not plugged up, or the lower left side of the block, draft Canister screen isn't clear. If plugged up, it will cause some psi build up in the crankcase.. If you are going to drive it much in the future, you might consider a PCV conversion.
Info on that is available here & in Y-Block Magazine.. Enjoy your '57.   

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter