Profile Picture

312 damper update and problem

Posted By stbart 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (146 reputation)Supercharged (146 reputation)Supercharged (146 reputation)Supercharged (146 reputation)Supercharged (146 reputation)Supercharged (146 reputation)Supercharged (146 reputation)Supercharged (146 reputation)Supercharged (146 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Just the other day, after some comments from my previous post, I had decided to leave my damper alone. Well, my new timing light has just shown me a problem. At least I think it is a problem. Using the new (my first) timing light, it shows my timing REALLY far off! I measured and put more timing marks on the damper, and according to the light, I am at about 25 degrees RETARDED. The car starts immediately, and runs great. I know my idle is tiny bit high, it is about 600 rpm. I am quite sure that my timing is not at 25 retarded. I have a diagram that Ted had posted showing the position of the crankshaft keyway when at TDC, but I have to remove the power steering pully before I will be able to see the keyway.  I am guessing that even though the damper does not show any sign of slipping that I can notice, it must have slipped.  Anyone agree? Or would there be some other explanation?  The diagram that Ted posted shows the keyway at 108 degrees from the TDC mark. From my experience, the car wouldn't run and start this good if the timing was retarded that much. 
So to me, it appears that I will have to get that damper rebuilt.
Please share thoughts/opinions/facts/advise/info

Threaded View

Threaded View
Forum Post 312 damper update and problem By stbart ( 2 Years Ago )
Forum Post I went to check the timing on mine after installing new spark plugs... By DryLakesRacer ( 2 Years Ago )
Forum Post The only way to know for sure is to do a top dead center check and... By Joe-JDC ( 2 Years Ago )
Forum Post The red line shows about where TDC should be. 25 degrees retarded is... By charliemccraney ( 2 Years Ago )
Forum Post Listen to Joe. No need to go to all the work of removing the damper if... By one piece at a time ( 2 Years Ago )
Forum Post To verify TDC, I figure that if I compare the keyway position to the... By stbart ( 2 Years Ago )
Forum Post If you want to verify the exact position, no, it's a little more... By charliemccraney ( 2 Years Ago )
Forum Post For the timing to be 25° retarded, I am taking it that you are seeing... By Ted ( 2 Years Ago )
Forum Post Being it is Friday, and this issue is bugging me to no end, I called... By stbart ( 2 Years Ago )
Forum Post I followed the method Ted suggested. I used a straightedge across the... By stbart ( 2 Years Ago )
Forum Post Yes - if you are looking at the damper and pointer from the front as... By paul2748 ( 2 Years Ago )
Forum Post One is between 9 & 10; the other is closer to 12. I don't see how... By 55blacktie ( 2 Years Ago )
Forum Post It is bad. I'm not sure what the diameter is but 3 inches should be... By charliemccraney ( 2 Years Ago )
Forum Post This is what I found. The blue dot is the TDC mark. It sure doesn’t... By stbart ( 2 Years Ago )
Forum Post RE: 312 damper update and problem By stbart ( 2 Years Ago )
Forum Post The damper is all packaged up and on its way to The Damper Dudes!... By stbart ( 2 Years Ago )
Forum Post Once you get that damper back from the rebuilder, I will suggest that... By Ted ( 2 Years Ago )

Reading This Topic

Site Meter