Profile Picture

Tremec T-5 install in Thunderbird

Posted By Joe-JDC 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Yes, the original rear with 3.91 gear ratio (47/12 tag).  I tried to source a new 9" from a couple of places, and they wanted a lot of information that I could not give them at the time.  That is an expensive proposition--near $5K with posi, disc brakes.  I don't have a source around this area to look in junk yards for old cars that might be a donor for the rear end.  For sure I will not be drag racing it from stop light to stop light!  LOL  

JDC
suede57ford
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
When I had my '57 T-Bird I had my original housing cut down a little on each side.   This narrowed the rear end width(like .75 per side) and centered my wheels in the wheel house which gave me many options for different wheels and tires.   I did 31 spine axles and explorer(currie) rear discs with a traction lock as I was planning to use it in Y-Block Shootouts.

Pat Fleischman

Joe-JDC
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Jacob's Electronic coils.  Google is your friend.  Joe-JDChttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/52feb9e1-7bc9-4b85-b844-545c.jpg

JDC
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Appears to be no longer available.
312YBlock
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

I noticed the PCV hose is connected to the rear of the carb base. I have a Summit 600 CFM which has a PCV connection in the front, it has a screw plug in the same location as yours. The installation instructions say that where you have it is a power break vacuum port.

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
Joe-JDC
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yes, I do not have power brakes, and this is so much simpler.  Does not affect idle adjustments.  Did this way on a couple of dyno testing engines, and no issues with this system.  Joe-JDC

JDC
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Thanks for the coil picture. The tag on the box says it all - looks like it's a  late Ford Duraspark application.  Thanks..............

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
312YBlock (2/23/2022)
I noticed the PCV hose is connected to the rear of the carb base. I have a Summit 600 CFM which has a PCV connection in the front, it has a screw plug in the same location as yours. The installation instructions say that where you have it is a power brake vacuum port.

It's the same direct vacuum available at both the front and rear.  The Summit carbs do come with the 1/8" NPT barbed fitting to go into that back hole for those that choose to use that location.  My own preference is to always pull the vacuum for a PCV valve at the rear of a four barrel carburetor when you have a choice.  This keeps disturbance in air flow away from the primary throttle bores. For the Y with the PCV valve located at the back of the valley cover, it’s a much cleaner look with a shorter hose.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

312YBlock
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

Joe could you tell me where you got the vacuum booster threaded nipple for the 1/2 ID PCV hose. NAPA only has a 1/8 to 1/2” adapter which adds over two inches to the assembly.

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
Joe-JDC
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

It came with the carburetor from Summit.  Check with O'Reilleys, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, or even Lowes.  They have a rack with an assortment of brass fittings.  Joe-JDC

JDC

Reading This Topic

Site Meter