Profile Picture

292 Street Build

Posted By Eric16 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hello YBF,

New member here, first post! I recently purchased a 1956 Victoria with a stock 292 and 3 speed with OD. Love the car, and it'll do 70mph all day. I'm a younger guy with a hot rod and muscle car background. To be honest, the car is a great for going down the highway, but lacks "personality" around town. I'm looking to have a hopped up 292 built to make the car a little bit more fun. 

So far I've planned to use:
292 block
312 crank
G posted heads
-B intake
Holley Sniper EFI
Reads 4 into 1 headers

I was curious if anyone out there has done a similar build? Any experience using Holley Sniper EFI? Any guidance on using an MSD distributor vs a stock one with Petronix?

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

-Eric

1956 Ford Victoria
1932 Ford Roadster
charliemccraney
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 21 minutes ago
RE the distributor, an MSD will be 100% brand new, not worn out.  Original, even in the best case is going to have wear because parts are not available to truly return them to like new condition.  Pertronix now produce a Y-Block distributor, which gives another option.

You won't need posted G heads for a street build.  If you already have them, they are better but if you do not, don't get hung up on that.  It will make it a much easier task to find the heads, giving you more options.

What kind of power are you shooting for?

Lawrenceville, GA
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Ted told me that he routinely posts non-posted heads. If you intend to have more that .025 milled, I would seriously consider posting them. Ted also tested a CRT electronic distributor on loan from a forum member. Results were good, and it's significantly cheaper than the MSD, which Ted has used. The CRT distributor is made in China, but I'm pretty sure that the MSD is as well.

Gil Baumgartner (CTCI Gil's Garage) has done efi conversions on 55-57 Tbirds. You can try emailing him if no one replies on this forum. 
Eric16
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)

I didn't have an exact number I was set on. Just digging through some of Ted's builds, 300hp didn't seem too unrealistic. My goal was to stick with the iron heads and intake, and have a shop massage them a little bit, and see what I can get. 

1956 Ford Victoria
1932 Ford Roadster
Eric16
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

What are you running for a motor, trans, and rear end to get such a good combo in your Victoria?

1956 Ford Victoria
1932 Ford Roadster
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Eric16, you can find Y-block intake, carburetor, and header tests, along with numerous Y-block engine builds, at eatonbalancing.com. Click on "Quick Index."
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Take a look at Mummert's Y-280-1-11 cam specs at ford-y-block-com. You have the gears, and the 111 LSA should be ok with the Sniper. You might also look at Isky's RPM 300 cam, but Ted says that Y-blocks like lift; in which case, the Y-280-1-11 would be the better choice. I would also zero-deck the block and mill the heads if using flat-top pistons, preferably with metric rings. If I could afford $3,000+ for Mummert's  aluminum heads, I would either go that route or consider forced induction. Your budget might be the deciding factor.
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

By the way, I would like to hear more about your Sirius conversion. I plan to do the Aurora conversion, but maybe there's a better option.I stopped listening to over-commercialized am radio in 1967. Unfortunately, fm is now the new am. No more "free lunch."
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

And thanks, DLR, for not making noise, just for the sake of making noise.
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

DLR, I have the Newport wipers, as well, but haven't installed them. I'm also converting to manual heater control valve; getting rid of the vacuum stuff. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter