Profile Picture

292 Street Build

Posted By Eric16 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Miker, with a dynamic compression ratio of 8.7, are you running 100+ octane race gas?
miker
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
No, but it’s a very careful timing curve in the computer. It did run nice on the $8 a gallon stuff if I put the curve back in. It’s probably $16 now. The aluminum heads do buy me a little leeway.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Eric16
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
As I've kept digging, it sounds like a build using metric rings and an offset ground set up is where I would like to go.
The cam is another big part of what I'm looking for. I think I'm looking for something similar to what Miker is talking about. Numbers on a dyno are one thing, but pulling up to a stop light or a cruise in and getting everyone's attention is what makes me happy. I honestly don't know enough about cams to look at Mummert's chart and know what I'll get out of it. Based off of what Miker said, the 270 or 280 might be what I'm looking for. Honestly looking at the chart, the Y-284S sounds cool purely based off the fact he named it the "Cruise night special". But again, I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at. 

Has anyone here used the Y-284S?
Keeping in mind this will be using a offset ground 312 crank, manual transmission, with the goal of having plenty of "personality".

1956 Ford Victoria
1932 Ford Roadster
charliemccraney
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
If sound is your primary objective, then the Cruise Night Special should be good for that.  If the rest of the engine and drivetrain is setup for it, it should be a good performer, too.  For street use, the bigger the cam gets, the more critical it is to address those issues as well.  Otherwise, you get the sound but with really sluggish performance and poor economy.  To me, it's good to have the sound, along with the performance to back it up.

One of the 280s might be ok.  The 270 will have a non stock sound, but probably not the attention getting sound you are after.

Lawrenceville, GA
Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I just made over 400 hp with my 345 Y using the Isky 280-I-11 with 9.43:1 compression and DCR of 7.98.  My ported 113 heads, my ported BT intake, FPA headers, BG 930 Carb.  Fairly radical idle, but will idle down to 700 rpm.  I was planning on a Y Block Magazine article, but have not gotten a reply from either of the magazine's editors showing any interest in the build.  Joe-JDC

JDC
Cliff
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Good job Joe, can I ask what flow you got out of those heads @.500 lift?
Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

If memory serves me, just over 230 cfm @ .500", and 246 cfm at .650f".  These heads were drilled for 1/2" head bolts many years ago for a race engine, and I had to be careful not to hit water with the port work.  Trying to salvage a block and heads which worked out decent in the end.  Ted and I took this engine from bare block to dyno test in two days.  Joe-JDC

JDC
Cliff
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

I find about .550 lift is max I can fit into an engine with iron heads and a 2.02 valve , are you seeing the same?

Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Without cutting a valve notch, you will hit the cylinder wall for sure with anything over 1.960" or so.  I tried a 2.000" valve on our 303 EMC Y with a camshaft with .600" lift at the retainer, and upon tear down, we had nicks in the notches on a couple of cylinders.  It takes a dedicated template to get those notches in the right place for iron heads and oversize valves above ~.535".  I would like to use offset dowels, one of the smaller chamber heads, and try to get the combustion chamber completely into the bore.  I believe a person could get close enough to help, even with a lesser flowing head.  I have a pair of 113 heads ready for the 303 EMC Y that flow 260 cfm in both upper and lower ports with 2.000" valves.  Now it looks like EMC/MOM is dead in the water.  Joe-JDC

JDC
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Joe-JDC (9/29/2021)
......I was planning on a Y Block Magazine article, but have not gotten a reply from either of the magazine's editors showing any interest in the build.  Joe-JDC

Joe.  Bruce Young had been hospitalized recently due to heart issues and while I haven’t heard otherwise, he should be out and recovering by now.  The next issue of YBM will undoubtedly be late as a result but there’s no doubt that he will take any articles that are sent to him so they can be put in future publications.  He does not get email at his home so I would not expect Bruce to be replying to emails in a timely manner right now.  I’ll give him a call tomorrow and see how he is doing.  Ted.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter