Profile Picture

Pilot Bearing vs. Bushing

Posted By Rono 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
So I may have made a huge mistake installing my T-5. I opted to use a pilot bearing in the end of the crank rather than a bushing. I test fit the bearing first on the pilot on the input shaft and it fit pretty snug. the bearing fit tight in the end of the crank as it should. When installing the tranny though, I had to use a heavy hammer with a block of wood and hit the end of the output shaft to seat the tranny the last 1/4". Now I wonder how I can get the tranny out if I need to pull it? 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

charliemccraney
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 10 hours ago
It may have been a very slight misaignment of the disc.  When that same thing happens to me, I just get someone to push on the clutch pedal and then it slides that last little bit easily.

I don't think hammering on the output shaft was the best idea but at this point it's in and you'll find out if that caused any problems soon.

Lawrenceville, GA
Rono
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Yeah, I think I have a problem. First is setting up this hyd. clutch using a slave cylinder, and adjusting the pedal height and clutch fork travel. The release bearing is just a bit off the pressure plate fingers and when clutch pedal is depressed I have about 1/2" travel in the clutch fork. According to Centerforce that should be enough, but with the motor running I cannot get into any gear. With the engine off I can shift through all the gears

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
With the engine not running, I have found an easy way to "test" clutck disengagement and it's abaiiity to spin freely  is hasve someone hold the pedal to the floor while attempting to turn the disc by hand while under the car.  Also, at least in my case, I found it necessary to grind off about an 1/8" of the input shaft tip to prevent it from binding against the crank.   I used the ball bearing for a pilot and have not had any problems.  The bearing should slide freely on the inputshaft. These bearings are very common and inexpensive. I think?? it's a 6203 sealed.  Good liuck...........

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Rono
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Just made some more adjustments to this hyd clutch. I can't get the clutch pedal go to the floor, but with the car running on my lift and the wheels off the ground I can get 1st and 2nd gear without any grinding. I can't get other gears but there is no grinding. I hope this means that the clutch disk is on the the splines of the input shaft okay. The pilot on the end of the input has been shaved. down. I have bled the slave cylinder a couple of times, but I think its a clutch adjustment issue and not sure how to correct it. The brake and clutch pedal have a 5:1 travel ratio so that for every 5" the clutch pedal travels, the plunger moves 1" in the clutch master. I have the clutch pedal almost as far up as it can go with very little free play and it will only go about 1/2 way to the floor.

Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Here are links to older threads discussing pilot bearings versus pilot bushings.  Alignment is much more critical when using a bearing versus using a bushing.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost37487.aspx
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost121199.aspx
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost145655.aspx
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost149899.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

charliemccraney
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 10 hours ago
The clutch pedal only going half way does not necessarily indicate a problem.  My clutch pedal with the hydraulic clutch needs a fraction of the travel that it did with the mechanical linkage although mine uses a hydraulic throwout bearing rather than a slave.  The manufacturer of my hydraulic system suggest a stop on the floor, too prevent over travel.  I simply adjusted the pushrod length such that the floor is the stop (for now) which results in the pedal being quite a bit lower than the brake.

Make sure the clutch fork is not hitting the bellhousing and that the slave or master is not bottoming out.

Lawrenceville, GA
2721955meteor
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
in my case I used a bearing for the pilot when the trans is in place the critical  issue is does the crankshaft move with clearance Both directions. if not you will damage the thrust bearings and crank.some Tim ago a friend had to remove his 312 and replace crank and bearings due to improper clearance with clutch released. easy to check, fatal if  no clearance

Reading This Topic

Site Meter