Profile Picture

Pilot bearing longevity

Posted By DANIEL TINDER 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Someone selling a NOS bronze pilot bushing on eBay makes the claim that they last much longer than a newer/upgrade sealed ball bearing. Any validity to that statement? If so, a discussion re: the "pros & cons" would seem to be indicated?

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
Ted
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Week
Have used both pilot bearing styles over the years and each seem to have their advantages and disadvantages.  In the long haul though, the bronze bushings do tend to hold up longer as the years go on as compared to the bearing design.  A for instance: I pulled the 427 Tunnelport out of my Fairlane recently and the bearing had seized to the end of the transmission input shaft pilot and made it more than difficult to get the transmission removed from the engine.  If the bronze bushing had been in place, this particular problem would not have surfaced.  If the vehicle is going to be one that’s not driven very often, I’ll lean towards the bronze bushing in the future.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

paul2748
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 1 hour ago
I've used the bronze bushings from some high mileage cars and they have seemed to hold up very well.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter