Profile Picture

Good Aftermarket Temperature Gauge?

Posted By Half-dude 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hey guys,
Curious what brand temp gauges you guys use, which ones are rugged and reliable. I'm thinking surely most of you don't use the stock temp gauges that don't even have degrees numbers on them. Also I think I read once that there's more than one place you can put the temp probe rather than the default spot by the throttle lever? Which is the optimal placement?

While I'm asking, any 6volt system amp gauges out there?
62bigwindow
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I've had good luck with Stewart Warner gauges.

Durham Missouri
DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

IMO I don’t like added gauges unless I would be redoing my complete dash. I’ve kept all my 56 in perfect working order. I keep a heat gun in the glove box and know what the position of the needle means. I have always kept “idiot” lights also as looking down at gauges can be a distraction. 
Our race cars have both (Autometer liquid filled) since neither have recording systems like a RacePack and we have added shut down capabilities under 15 psi for oil. 
I have installed an oil pressure gauge under the hood on the same circuit as the light. I also have a volt meter that plugs into the cigar lighter to periodically check voltage.
I have had every brand fail at one time or another with the exception of liquid filled which have never failed.
I don’t think an amp gauge cares on the voltage. The Kaiser/Willys/Jeep sight sells one for $24 and says 6 or 12 volts works on either.  

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
slumlord444
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Stewart Warner electric gauge. Sending unit in the passenger side head. I run the stock and aftermarket on my 57 T Bird. 
Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

My 1955 TBird

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7ced80a4-cb84-4061-a4c0-b1e8.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

JimNNN
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)

I use the Longacre AccuTech mechanical temperature gauges on two of my cars with good luck. They aren't small or original looking, but they don't look inappropriate on old cars, either. Underdash mount would work best. They're noticeably more accurate, and probably better quality, than the Bosch mechanical gauge I have on another car.

I agree with others that it makes sense to also keep idiot lights if your car is so equipped, and between the gauges an lights you'll get the info you need. I personally would go with a mechanical gauge over a an electrical gauge - especially if you have a 6 volt vehicle -  but I'm sure there are good elec. gauges out there, too.
Half-dude
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

aren't the stock gauges electrical?
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 10 hours ago
The stock gauges are electrical.  For supplemental gauges my preference lies towards mechanical gauges for both temperature and oil pressure.  For the charging system, I now lean towards a gauge that registers voltage rather than amps.  Here’s a picture showing the amp gauge in my ’55 Ford which simply requires heavy gauge wire as all the electrical must run through the gauge before being used for ignition, lights, blower motor, etc.  A gauge registering voltage does not require that same heavy gauge wiring as does an amp meter.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a4089210-9de1-4447-99cc-25ce.jpg  

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter