Profile Picture

Valve lash adjustment

Posted By 312YBlock 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
My 312 has the flat screw head and 5/8 locknut on the rocker arm. Trying to hold the screw steady while tightening the locknut is a real hassle as the screw always wants to turn just enough to throw the setting off. I wind up setting the lash wider trying to compensate for that little bit as I tighten the locknut. I saw real good video of a fellow adjusting valves on a Y-Block using just a feeler gauge and a socket style wrench, each valve took him a few seconds to set the lash. Does anyone know of this type of setup?

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Google Summit Racing equipment, and type in valve lash adjusting tools.  They have 38 different kinds listed.  Joe-JDC

JDC
312YBlock
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

Hi Joe, I checked that out before posting; nothing for Y blocks.

Cliff
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Here you go  https://www.ebay.com/itm/303672888742?hash=item46b4508da6:g:BsUAAOSwTNFfT8I5
312YBlock
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks but that’s not it either. A tool is only part of it, I’m talking screws and locknuts. Google “ How to adjust valves on a Ford Y Block “, you’ll see what I’m after. There’s a fellow doing a how to on a model A with a Y block.

55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
yblockguy.com/techtips/tech_tips.htm
RB
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I think the type of adjusters you are referring to that adjusted with a 1/2 socket, use an interference type thread,  they do not require lock nuts..  I hate the ones your refer to as well. If they just had an allen head instead of a slotted screw it would work. You may be able to buy new or rebuilt rocker arms with that non lock nut adjuster
paul2748
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The interference type adjusters can be used with the  rockers arms that use the nut, but due to the extra width of the nut type rocker it's close in setting the .019 lash.  I had to replace a locking nut adjuster and the only one I had was an interference type.  It worked, but real close in getting the required setting.

When setting lash with the nut type adjuster, I do, the same thing - leave it a tad loose to account for the adjuster to move.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Got a link to the video you mention?

Adjusting the 1954-1956 rockers with the locknuts is similar to adjusting the valves with roller rocker arms which also have lock nuts.  The only difference here is the oem rockers have a slotted screw adjuster versus the roller rocker arms using an allen wrench at the adjuster screw.  Both types of rockers requires the lash to be a couple thousands loose to compensate for the adjuster moving slightly clockwise when tightening the lock nut.  Once you get a handle on just how much to back up the adjuster screw to compensate for screw movement when tightening the lock nut, the process goes very quickly.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Dobie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Here ya go, Ted.

yblockguy.com/techtips/tech_tips.htm

Copy & paste to your search window.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter