Valve lash adjustment

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic156810.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 312YBlock - 3 Years Ago
My 312 has the flat screw head and 5/8 locknut on the rocker arm. Trying to hold the screw steady while tightening the locknut is a real hassle as the screw always wants to turn just enough to throw the setting off. I wind up setting the lash wider trying to compensate for that little bit as I tighten the locknut. I saw real good video of a fellow adjusting valves on a Y-Block using just a feeler gauge and a socket style wrench, each valve took him a few seconds to set the lash. Does anyone know of this type of setup?
By Joe-JDC - 3 Years Ago
Google Summit Racing equipment, and type in valve lash adjusting tools.  They have 38 different kinds listed.  Joe-JDC
Hi Joe, I checked that out before posting; nothing for Y blocks.
By Cliff - 3 Years Ago
Here you go  https://www.ebay.com/itm/303672888742?hash=item46b4508da6:g:BsUAAOSwTNFfT8I5
Thanks but that’s not it either. A tool is only part of it, I’m talking screws and locknuts. Google “ How to adjust valves on a Ford Y Block “, you’ll see what I’m after. There’s a fellow doing a how to on a model A with a Y block.
By 55blacktie - 3 Years Ago
yblockguy.com/techtips/tech_tips.htm
By RB - 3 Years Ago
I think the type of adjusters you are referring to that adjusted with a 1/2 socket, use an interference type thread,  they do not require lock nuts..  I hate the ones your refer to as well. If they just had an allen head instead of a slotted screw it would work. You may be able to buy new or rebuilt rocker arms with that non lock nut adjuster
By paul2748 - 3 Years Ago
The interference type adjusters can be used with the  rockers arms that use the nut, but due to the extra width of the nut type rocker it's close in setting the .019 lash.  I had to replace a locking nut adjuster and the only one I had was an interference type.  It worked, but real close in getting the required setting.

When setting lash with the nut type adjuster, I do, the same thing - leave it a tad loose to account for the adjuster to move.
By Ted - 3 Years Ago
Got a link to the video you mention?

Adjusting the 1954-1956 rockers with the locknuts is similar to adjusting the valves with roller rocker arms which also have lock nuts.  The only difference here is the oem rockers have a slotted screw adjuster versus the roller rocker arms using an allen wrench at the adjuster screw.  Both types of rockers requires the lash to be a couple thousands loose to compensate for the adjuster moving slightly clockwise when tightening the lock nut.  Once you get a handle on just how much to back up the adjuster screw to compensate for screw movement when tightening the lock nut, the process goes very quickly.
By Dobie - 3 Years Ago
Here ya go, Ted.

yblockguy.com/techtips/tech_tips.htm

Copy & paste to your search window.
Great info as always. Thanks one and all 🚗
By Ted - 3 Years Ago
Here’s the link to a past discussion on this site about adjusting valves.  Does not cover the nuance about the adjuster screw moving as the lock nut is tightened but I did touch on that above.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic8614.aspx
A good friend of mine and very knowledgeable told me about small block Chrysler solid lifter engines ie 273 318A 340 having allen head screws with locknuts. I found these on Summit Racing website. I believe these might be what I’m looking for.

Applications for CRN-99780-2 fits Chrysler 318

Crane Cams 99780-2 - Crane Shaft-Type Rocker Arm Adjusting Screws
( 1 ) Part Number: CRN-99780-2
By 62bigwindow - 3 Years Ago
Tim Mcmaster is the guy that post the video. He post two different methods of adjustment. I'm not sure if both videos have the interference fit set screws though.
By DryLakesRacer - 3 Years Ago
I’ve adjusted the rockers countless times on our racing engines for the last 50 years. I’ll set the clearance with a screw driver or Allen slightly tight and hold that position with the screw driver or Allen and tighten the lock nut.  This usually loosens the clearance by a half a thousandths which is just right. I have never liked interference nuts or even stud rockers for that matter. On an off topic racing engine I purchased a T & D shaft system and can run a season of 6 to 8 races and never have them move; we turn that engine 7000 rpm at the end of every straightaway.
I find my y-block to hold its lash clearance consistently and rarely find one even a few thousandths off. I check them every oil change. I’ve watched Tim’s adjustment video and found it a good learning tool. Ted’s skill with y-blocks is also second to none. 
If you having consistency problems with rocker arm lash I would be looking your oiling and the condition of the rocker bushings, shafts, and tips. Once a year I will run my engine with the rocker covers off and a cardboard shield to protect the exhaust manifolds to make sure the over flow tubes have oil flow. The left side seems to be a little quicker to flow than the right. My cardboard is wrapped with clear box tape. Good luck. 
Thanks DLR 🚗