Profile Picture

55 bird electric power steering

Posted By RB 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I am 6' 220 pounds. My TBird has a manual transmission.  As you can imagine, I am a tight fit.   I loosen the collar on the telescopic wheel and pull the steering wheel all the way out.  This gives me enough room to work the pedals without hitting the steering wheel. It's not bad once you get used to it.  If you have an aftermarket steering wheel, you may not have the ability to adjust the wheel. Seat and leg room is a big challenge with these cars. If you have the soft top, it's worse.  Without it, you can lean the seat back more, 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

RB
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
When I installed the buckets I was able to drop the seat a little lower without the power seat mechanism  My thighs just barely fit under the wheel. I think there is a bit more room than the bench seat though.  My friend in Indy who is about 6'3 went radical and modified his floor so he could get in and out
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
RB, someone is selling OEM 55 T-bird power steering, minus pump, on ebay for $650. Parts are shown in place on car and look well worn. 
1/8cavman
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)

I moved my seat mounting points for the studs on the seat frame forward and gained 1 inch. Has no power seat. I am 6", 190. RB your interior looks great, the console looks factory, Does the seat back rest on the buckets fit under the body in back?

RB
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
The seat backs ALMOST fit under the rear panel  but not quite.. If you had them specially upholstered they would
Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

The biggest problem with gaining seat room in these cars is the soft top. When the top is up, the swing mechanism holds the seat back in an almost vertical position. Relocating the seat tracks does not fix this issue.  When the top is down, the top folds behind the seat.  This allows a little more room, but it's still a tight fit for taller drivers. I believe the answer for me is to ditch the soft top completely. This will allow further rearward tilting of the seat back. Perhaps even allow room for the seat to tuck under the garnish rail?  My hard top has a porthole.  Whoever thought putting a boat porthole in the side of a beautiful car like that must have been design challenged.  It allowed more rear visibility, but it doesn't fit the car. I think non porthole 55 TBirds look more like a sports car than a country club chariot. My body man thinks he can fill my porthole top. We'll see.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

I appreciate your honest opinion, Phil. I have both tops for my 55. I had actually considered installing the port holes in my hardtop, even though they were not an available option for 55. People associate the port holes with the 55-57 Birds, and the port holes, as you said, help to reduce the blind spot. However, I suddenly realized that I, too, prefer the look of the top w/o port holes, and it would be a shame to cut holes in the original top. I've decided to install a right-side mirror, instead. I'll put tape on the base of the mirror to protect the paint, have a helper move it around until the sweet spot is found, and then mark the location before mounting holes are drilled. Someone on another forum did the same thing, but ended up relocating the left mirror, so the two mirrors were in alignment but still useful. 

I'm also considering leaving the soft top out of the car, but I won't part with it. 
Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

My Tbird was 100% bone stock when I purchased it.  It has had numerous modifications. All of them were aimed at improving safety and performance. I have kept all the original parts.  My garage is filled with original heads, intakes, teapots, brake drums, a radiator and shroud, a tach drive distributor, steel wheels, hubcaps and lots more.   I intend to keep all these parts and pass them on to the next owner. I'll store my soft top as well.  Whoever gets this car after me better have a big garage. BigGrin

55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Sounds familiar. Whiscruber top I use, it will remain on/up most of the time. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter