Profile Picture

55 bird electric power steering

Posted By RB 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Has anyone installed one of these systems?    What are your impressions, and how hard was it to install?.. Is the servo motor noisy?  Thanks.. EPAS is one of the companies offering these...  It looks like a good option and gets away from hydraulic lines and pumps and foreign steering boxes
DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I belong to the Crown Victoria Association and in the monthly publication FOMOCO Times there was an article by a gentleman who did this. It was a few years ago on an 55 Crown Vic and I don’t remember the manufacturer but it seemed like a lot of work more that what’s implied. Others have done it using “junkyard” parts on other makes. All involved cutting the column.
If you find a PS box you like and can use another guy I see at car show gatherings used a Volvo electric PS pump that work fine. This way needs another column too or shortening yours and using a “rag” coupler. At least you don’t need to worry about shift linkage.. good luck..

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
RB
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

It looks like you shorten the column and it goes under the dash..nothing in the engine compartment.. At this point in my life I am seeking the simplest of solutions.. This looks easier than original parts with all their leaks and easier than squeezing a steering box and pump in there.. If I go this route I will give a report on it.. Wife does not like horsing it around in tight spaces... and it's her car.. been promising this for a couple years..
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Anything, other than the original setup, will require modifying the steering column. I seem to recall having read that the electric conversion can't be used on telescopic steering columns, so you'll want to check on that. I don't blame you for not wanting to use the stock power steering. Admittedly, power assist/w smaller steering wheel would be nice. I will keep my 55's manual steering until I'm no longer able to drive it; in which case, I probably shouldn't be driving anyway. 
kevink1955
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

This was my install on a 56 Fairlane, I do not know how much room is under the dash in a Tbird for the motor but with the floor shifter at least you do not have to mess with the shift tube.
If the horn wire runs thru the steering shaft you need the workaround for that also

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic112422.aspx
miker
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I did a R&P conversion on my 55 bird years ago. I removed a rebuilt, rechromed column and replaced it with an aftermarket tilt tele unit. After a lot of additional work it works fine. The whole works was a waste of my time and money for the improvement.

It's going to be pretty difficult to modify the original column, probably almost impossible to retain the telescoping feature to add the electrics under the dash. Under the hood is pretty tight on a bird and hard against the exhaust, most electrics don't like heat.

What I ended up with was a slightly faster ratio and a wheel I could move up when I had to work under the dash.

I had a rebuilt 3 sector box and a rebuilt power steering unit. The slight vagueness, leaking etc. in that was much easier to put up with than all the work and money involved.

I know you've got access to sophisticated machine work, but even so...

Kind of hard to admit "stupid", but better than sending someone down that road. Just go buy the conversion stuff from the Tbird guys. I assume they're still available.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I have been contemplating this mod myself on and off for a few years. Every option has drawbacks.  My 55 TBird has a manual transmission. I have seen the electric power steering conversion on my buddy's 66 Fairlane with a 4 speed.  If it fits at all, it may be even tighter in a 55 TBird.   I do not wish to cut up my steering column.  I'm 6' tall and the only way I can drive my TBird is to telescope the steering column all the way out.  Then you have the issue of selling the car.  Will the next buyer want a cut up car?  For this reason, all the mods I have done can be reversed. My stock manual steering is as tight as it was built, and I'm leaving it that way.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Then you have the issue of selling the car.  Will the next buyer want a cut up car?  For this reason, all the mods I have done can be reversed.

BINGO!

Very well stated

RB
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

My car is not original. It has a fiberglass front clip and buckets and a console from a 60 bird... If my wife could deal with the manual steering (and brakes) I would not bother.  As it is she really has a hard time maneuvering in tight spots, and that bus size wheel is right on my lap when I drive it. I don't use the tele feature anyway..I hope someone speaks up who has installed one in a bird.  Mine is an automatic,. radio and heater delete.
MoonShadow
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 32 minutes ago
I bought a Toyota unit for my roadster. It really needs help when sitting still to turn the wheels. I've driven a lot of cars with the electric assist and it is remarkably smooth and easy. I've also never heard any noise from one of the units. I plan to make a couple of collars to make the transition to the I-Didit column and floor bracket. Other than what there isn't much to it. The steering unit can be mounted as high or low as you need and can be indexed for clearance.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

Reading This Topic

Site Meter