Profile Picture

55 bird electric power steering

Posted By RB 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I've seen a few 1955-57 T-birds with Borgeson conversions. Again, the steering column has to be modified. The 56-57 steering column is a bit shorter than the 55's to provide space for the 56-57 steering wheel. The aftermarket has a smaller-diameter 56/57-style steering wheel. I'm pretty sure that the steering column does not look altered in the passenger compartment, but the outer tube is cut away under the hood, exposing the column. I think a universal is installed under the hood as well, making the column safer. With other mods done to your car, like fiberglass front clip, modifying the steering column probably isn't a concern. 
Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
A good friend of mine has a 1955 Thunderbird Resto Mod. He built it from a body shell and a pile of parts he purchased from a relative.  At one time this car had an Olds engine, so It's fate was already shaky. It now has rack and pinion power steering, four wheel disk brakes and a Mustang 5.0 motor with air conditioning. This car is highly modified with tucked in bumpers, custom bucket seat interior and all kinds of really cool touches. It's one of the nicest RestoMods I have seen. Unrestored drive able Thunderbirds are currently selling in the high teens low twenties. At Barret Jackson, a Resto Mod like his is closer to $50K.   These cars are perfect platforms for modernization.   I bought my TBird as a time machine, so I prefer to keep it's 50-60s character. Obviously, old timers like me aren't going to be around forever. Anything you can do to improve your car's safety and driveability is a good thing.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

RB
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Sorry for the crappy glare pictures  but this is somewhere  between stock and a resto mod.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a11b239c-962d-43a4-bd2d-4da0.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d462be65-c0d1-4267-9f0b-c9dd.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/daaa1dba-f841-464d-b700-0411.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2aa7abcb-ab67-43af-8e09-6c84.jpg
DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Don’t mean to take away from electric power steering but..RB.. how does the Summit Carb perform for you and what CFM is it?. I notice you don’t have a hose at the lower right front of the carb for a PVC feed. Are you using the pipe plug the carb at the rear for that or not using a PVC system. Thanks.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
RB
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Summit carb is spot on. It is 600 cfm. Check Ted Eaton's comments  .He likes them a lot... I put a rubber grommet and PCV valve in the hole where the daft tube was in the valley pan.. Short hose going to back of carb.
Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Love the bucket seats!  What seats are they?  What seat tracks did you use? Did they increase leg room?  Thanks!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

RB
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Buckets and console are from a 60 bird  I had to buy some aftermarket slider brackets.. I am 6'1 and leg room is just adequate with seat back as far as it can go..  Big steering wheel is more of an obstruction
Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Too bad they don't make a smaller steering wheel for a 55 TBird.  They make one for the '56 & '57.  My understanding is you must swap out the entire '55 column for a '56 or '57 to use an aftermarket wheel?   Anyone ever done this?

RB
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

My car started out as a 1/2 finished project. It was missing a steering wheel  What is on there is a 55 Mercury wheel.  I sure would like to find a smaller dia.  The 56-57 column is shorter because of the steering wheel dish used on those years..  The column could be shortened but the steering shaft would have to be swapped out for a 56 or 57, I will end up shopping around for an aftermarket wheel that looks appropriate
Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
When I bought my '55 Thunderbird, the previous owner had a Grant wood steering wheel on the car so she could get the seat up close.  It was something like 14" in diameter.  She kept the Grant and had the original installed when I bought the car.  I can barely get my legs between the seat and steering wheel, and I am not heavy at 182 lbs and 6'.  Joe-JDC

JDC

Reading This Topic

Site Meter