Profile Picture

ROCKER ARM COVER GROMMET ASSEMBLY SEQUENCE

Posted By KULTULZ 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 days ago
Is the following ENGINEERING/PARTS ILL showing the hold down grommet position correct?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b789dd42-d0ac-45d7-99ce-2a7f.jpg

BamaBob
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)

Last Active: 18 minutes ago
It appears to show the grommet installed from the underside, which would be incorrect. It wouldn't seal in that position.
KULTULZ
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

THANX! for that.

Been so long I let FORD fool me.

How can they release an ENGINEERING/PARTS ILL and no one has caught it?

MoonShadow
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
That explains where that comes from. A lot of people have told me that over the years. When I put on some aluminum covers I tried it. I put a jam nut under the washer set to the height to allow solid contact with the washers. It actually didn't work badly but it took a lot of trial and error to get the valve cover gaskets and hold down at enough pressure to seal. Went back to putting the rubber washers on top. 

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 39 minutes ago
KULTULZ (2/16/2021)

Been so long I let FORD fool me.

How can they release an ENGINEERING/PARTS ILL and no one has caught it?

Likely all the drawings were done long before any parts were being produced/assembled (?).
BTW: They also drew the T-Bird’s Rt. ex. manifold heat valve upside down.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
57RancheroJim
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I think because this is a parts illustration rather then a shop manual picture they were trying to show that the valve cover gasket and the two grommets are supplied together. They probably could have done it a little better. The parts person only has to get you the right parts, he doesn't care how you put it together Smile
paul2748
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I did the same as Moonshadow when I first put the engine together because I saw the diagram.  Ran into the same problems.  I got everything so no leaks, but it was a pain to pull and install the covers so I eventually changed them

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

KULTULZ
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Likely all the drawings were done long before any parts were being produced/assembled (?).

If you look at the 6549 ADJ SCREWS, it shows early and late (mid-1956/ ). So the ILL has to be at least mid-1956 production. FORD PARTS DIVISION used modified ENGINEERING DRAWINGS (as well as SERVICE DIVISION for SHOP MANUALS).

How was this released with no one catching it?

57RancheroJim
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I don't know how it worked in parts departments but the shop manuals have a lot of errors and when caught and other service changes happened they put out REVISIONS to correct it. Unfortunately only dealers got the revisions and a person like myself with no connection to a dealer never get them.
KULTULZ
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Correct. Service Manuals were printed on the quarter year, corrections included. Same with PARTS MANUALS, upgrades every quarter. Corrected service procedures were also released with SERVICE BULLETINS.

But another poster showed a page from his 54 SHOP MANUAL (don't know if FORD or MERC) that showed the correct sequence.

It may be the ILL is first print and the later 56/ rocker arm adjusting screw ILL inserted on that particular ILL.

BASIC PN 6A506 is the BPN for a valve cover set incl grommets. The grommet is also available separately.

Never say never regarding FOMOCO.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter