Profile Picture

New Member & Intake Manifold Question

Posted By 1/8cavman 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Hello fellow Y-block enthusiast. My name is Mike Kelly. I am 74 and live in Southern Oregon. I have owned Y-block powered cars since the early 60's. I own a 56 Bird that I bought in 1970. It is driver quality with parts from all three years of the little Birds. Almost always driveable, and never finished. This forum has a great amount of knowledge, keep it going. Question, I have two Ford factory iron 9425 B intake manifolds. One has the firing order and cylinder numbers casting on the intake runners, along with the 9425 B casting part numbers. The other manifold has only the part number casting 9425 B. Otherwise, they are identical. What and where were they used? 

55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Do the letters ECG precede 9425B? I just looked at two manifolds. Both were the 57-style. One had the firing order on a runner, but the other did not. The carburetor bolt pattern is wider than the 55-56 4-barrel manifolds and will not accommodate pre-57 carburetors.They are the best Y-block OEM single-four-barrel-carburetor intake manifolds. If you replace 55-56 carburetor and intake with 57-up, you will also need a 57-up distributor with both mechanical and vacuum advance. 

Posting photos will not only confirm the above, they will generate considerable interest if you want to sell them. If the price is right, they go pretty quickly. As you know, they are heavy, and that will be reflected in the shipping cost.
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

1/8cavman, check your personal messages.
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The 57-up Holley 4150 base bolt pattern is 5.16 (5 3/16) side-to-side/5.625 (5 5/8) front to back.
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Here's ;my take on the two manifolds.  I have both types, though I never noticed.  I believe the ones with no firing order are passenger car manifolds.  The ones with the firing order are HD truck manifolds.  The ones without the firing order have provisions for the automatic choke heat.  The one with the firing order is not drilled for the choke heat tube.  Passenger cars had automatic chokes, HD trucks had hand chokes.  Tomorrow I'll put them side by side and see if there differences in port sizes and throat sizes.  They may be different, they have to be different castings because of the cast firing order info on top.  The cores for the inner parts may be the same for both types however.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
1/8cavman
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)

Both of these manifolds have the ECZ 9425 B casting. They are the 57 and later Holley 4150 bolt pattern. I know what the 55 and 56 intake manifolds look like. Hoosier Hurricane you are probably correct. I didn't realize 4 barrel manifolds were used in HD trucks. I am opening up and smoothing the runners a little, trying to match them to the heads which I did years ago. Nothing radical. Aluminum parts (heads, covers, manifolds) would be great but at this time too much money. Hope the price of fuel doesn't go nuts. Thanks guys for your replies. 
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Woops! I posted this in the wrong place. If you are going to port-match your manifold to your heads, you should also consider opening up the plenum to two ovals. you can find photos on yblockguy.com and eatonbalancing.com.
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Mike.  Welcome to the site.

I find that the majority of ECZ-B intake manifolds do have the firing order shown on them.  Those ECZ-B manifolds that do not have the heat tube for the choke are more than likely to be from the HD truck engines which were produced all the way into the 1964 models.

There is a date code on the back runners under the casting number and those date codes can be used to identify both the time frame and potentially the application from which the manifold originally came.  The first digit of the date code would be the year (ie: 0 = 1960), the second digit would be the month, and the next digit or digits would be the day.  Here are some pics.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/90301583-e2ee-4eff-8134-af9a.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7044c4b4-ef3c-4cec-9bf5-45ab.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2db3f3f3-4a36-470e-917d-f4f6.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/62c06ff3-1459-413f-9f2e-4534.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a8bcdc80-4981-4139-848d-3d7d.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I compared my manifolds, the ports are the same, the throttle bore holes are the same, the depth from the carb flange to the plenum floor are the same.  Ted, where did you come up with that EDB-9425-F manifold?????  Is it for sale?

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
NoShortcuts
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
1/8Cavman.  Welcome to the site!  Early '57 production FoMoCo y-blocks (Ford & Mercury) using the B single quad intake manifold did not have the firing order displayed!  This was true for both passenger car and 'Bird applications.  My recollection is that it was in February of the '57 model year that the firing order was first displayed on the 312 engine single quad application intake manifold casting.

This information was previously covered in an earlier Y-Blocks Forever Forum entry and, as I recall, in the Classic Thunderbird Club International Restoration Manual authored by Gil Baumgartner.

The information pertaining to casting date codes, no choke heat tubes for truck applications, and the B code intakes being the best for performance of a y-block factory single four barrel intake are both correct and reliable.

Hope this helps!   Smile 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York

Reading This Topic

Site Meter