Profile Picture

Hurst Mystery Shifter

Posted By Tim Quinn Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
Will the Hurst Shifter # M/S FO 5262  fit my '56 Ford with overdrive ?  Will the O/D solenoid be in the way?
Thanks in advance
Tim
Central, Florida

DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
There’s a Hurst Mystery shifter for a 52-56 Ford on E-bay right now that’s a FO 5252. I should ask the seller if it shows in the instructions if THAT one fits an overdrive. I wouldn’t tell him what you have. A 5262 might be the correct on for an OD if he says his will not fit an OD....

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Tim Quinn
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

I did contact him . His answer was not good enough, so I decided to post on Y-Blocks Forever.
Thanks for your get back,
Tim
North Pole, Florida
very cold here
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
In looking thru a 1970 Hurst shifter catalog, that ‘M/S FO 5262 part number does not match up to any of the listings.  In looking at that particular catalog, the O/D transmissions do have different Mystery Shifter part numbers than what’s listed for the non O/D Ford transmissions.  For the O/D transmissions, there are even different part numbers for the Ford versus the BW transmissions.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

slumlord444
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
My experience with the Hurst shifter in the past was the shifter itself was the same. The mounting brackets and shift rods were different for different applications. I was able to modify the bracket and shift rod to fit. Easier to have the right parts but it can be done. 
Tim Quinn
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted,
The shift kit I'm looking at is #5262 not #8252.
Thanks for your input,
Tim
Central, Fl
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)Co-Administrator (10.3K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Tim Quinn (12/28/2020)
Ted,
The shift kit I'm looking at is #5262 not #8252.
Thanks for your input,
Tim

Tim.  That was a typo on my end.  I did look for the 5262 number but nothing came close.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Tim Quinn
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted,
I do that all the time......typeo errors.....confusing names etc.
Tim
Warmer today,
Florida, 33706
miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.2K reputation)Supercharged (3.2K reputation)Supercharged (3.2K reputation)Supercharged (3.2K reputation)Supercharged (3.2K reputation)Supercharged (3.2K reputation)Supercharged (3.2K reputation)Supercharged (3.2K reputation)Supercharged (3.2K reputation)

Tim, I had a Mystery Shifter on a T-86 o/d behind a 352 in a 59 bird. (It was so tired I didn't break the trans) and a Syncro Lock on a T-85 o/d in a 55 bird. Both requires some bracket and rod modifications. This was back in the 60's when they were still in the catalog.

There's two old sayings about the Mystery Shifter. "It's a mystery how we made it so affordable" and "it's a mystery what gear your in".

Other than the price it's only advantage was you could cut the stick off to the length you wanted. I had a speed shop that worked with me, and they ordered the T-85 o/d brackets and a Corvette (short stick), which is what went in the 55 bird.

If you end up making the brackets and rods (which isn't all that big a deal if the main bracket fits the trans/bell mount) find a Syncro lock to start with. It's got the adjustable stops and a far better unit. If you are a welder it's just a pita with the trans in the car. But you'll get a much better result. I made mine with machine screws, then had the whole works welded up. I was 17 then.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Daniel Jessup
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.2K reputation)Supercharged (3.2K reputation)Supercharged (3.2K reputation)Supercharged (3.2K reputation)Supercharged (3.2K reputation)Supercharged (3.2K reputation)Supercharged (3.2K reputation)Supercharged (3.2K reputation)Supercharged (3.2K reputation)

Last Active: 13 hours ago
Tim,
I went through this ordeal when swapping out my old Fordomatic with a 3 speed R10 OD in my 55 Club Sedan. Some of those blog posts can be found at these links: https://www.hotrodreverend.com/blog/categories/transmission 
also, one seller on eBay that seemed to be quite knowledgeable and was a real help in locating the parts at the right prices was this guy:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/4ever4d?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Reading This Topic

Site Meter