Profile Picture

Ignition switch

Posted By DryLakesRacer 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Anyone have an easy way to depress the spring to turn in the keeper when putting in a 56 ignition switch. I put it in 8 years ago and didn’t think it was that hard back then.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Reach behind the dash and push the switch toward you and the retainer will easily turn.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Sounds great but I’m unable to push it far enough to compress the spring with my hand and turn the locking device. Like I said I did it years ago. If the E brake was move able I think I could do it. Guess I’ll keep trying.

paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Unbolt the e brake from the dash and let it hang.  That will give you more room.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Paul I tried that and kinda remembered doing that but wouldn’t move down and I didn’t want to break anything. I took it switch out to increase the size of the wire that one time just fed the heater fan but now feed the new AC unit had installed.
I measured the thickness of the spring compressed and made a spacer slight less to take it place. Works great.

Rono
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
There is an ignition switch removal tool that helps with the removal and installation. Do you have that?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yes I do. It removes the “nut” on the front and turns 90 degrees. EZ when can depress the spring all the way to put it back.
I gave up and made a spacer with some compressible hard foam and leather. There are protrusions built in to the dash to keep it from turning. It works fine..Thanks all

DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yes I do. It removes the “nut” on the front and turns 90 degrees. EZ when can depress the spring all the way to put it back.
I gave up and made a spacer with some compressible hard foam and leather. There are protrusions built in to the dash to keep it from turning. It works fine..Thanks all

Reading This Topic

Site Meter