Ignition switch

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic154330.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By DryLakesRacer - 4 Years Ago
Anyone have an easy way to depress the spring to turn in the keeper when putting in a 56 ignition switch. I put it in 8 years ago and didn’t think it was that hard back then.
By Hoosier Hurricane - 4 Years Ago
Reach behind the dash and push the switch toward you and the retainer will easily turn.
Sounds great but I’m unable to push it far enough to compress the spring with my hand and turn the locking device. Like I said I did it years ago. If the E brake was move able I think I could do it. Guess I’ll keep trying.
By paul2748 - 4 Years Ago
Unbolt the e brake from the dash and let it hang.  That will give you more room.
Thanks Paul I tried that and kinda remembered doing that but wouldn’t move down and I didn’t want to break anything. I took it switch out to increase the size of the wire that one time just fed the heater fan but now feed the new AC unit had installed.
I measured the thickness of the spring compressed and made a spacer slight less to take it place. Works great.
By Rono - 4 Years Ago
There is an ignition switch removal tool that helps with the removal and installation. Do you have that?

Yes I do. It removes the “nut” on the front and turns 90 degrees. EZ when can depress the spring all the way to put it back.
I gave up and made a spacer with some compressible hard foam and leather. There are protrusions built in to the dash to keep it from turning. It works fine..Thanks all
Yes I do. It removes the “nut” on the front and turns 90 degrees. EZ when can depress the spring all the way to put it back.
I gave up and made a spacer with some compressible hard foam and leather. There are protrusions built in to the dash to keep it from turning. It works fine..Thanks all