Profile Picture

Howards 292002-10 cam

Posted By ogasman 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Very interesting.  To swap an FE engine into an early bird, you need a truck rear sump oil pan and an early truck front engine mount?  The only big issue is the headers and steering box clearance?  I have seen many different engines swapped into early birds from 289s to big block GMs. Even saw one with a Chrysler Hemi once. If I was ten years younger, an FE swap would be in the works.  As it is, my Y-Block TBird is a nice driver and spirited enough for me now. Thanks for the info.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

panel driver
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Yes i looked at my receipt and he lists it as a 57+ cam.  Works really good for me with the AOD. 
Merry Christmas everyone. 

Located in Harford County Maryland 
ogasman
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)

Decided to go with the Isky 30-1444.  Will I have to make the oil groove in the third journal deeper with this cam?  Found out I have a mixed bag of rocker arms in the engine.  Could use a few of the high lift versions, if anybody has a few spares.  I posted an add in the classifieds.  Any way to change the subject line?  Forgot to put wanted to buy.
  If anybody wants to put an FE in their bird, I have the stuff.

Paul
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I think you meant rocker arms, not lifters.
ogasman
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)

Thanks
Fixed it.

Paul
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Ogasman, was the original Fordomatic T-bird shifter retained when the C4 was installed? If so, were you able to shift it manually from first to third/drive? 
PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Ogasman:  J. Mummert re grooves all the Y-block cams he sells. He claims that the blanks are under original spec in that area, but I don't recall seeing anywhere what the spec  is supposed to be..?  Don't over do it, or you will have flood  on your hands..  

Paul
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

ogasman (12/26/2020)
Decided to go with the Isky 30-1444.  Will I have to make the oil groove in the third journal deeper with this cam?

When I purchased my ISKY 301333 cam we measured the oil grove depth at .018".   Since Mummert re grooves his cams, we decided to cut our cam to .030".   We used a lathe to deepen the grove. With the engine assembled on the engine stand, I used a socket and a hand crank to turn the oil pump so I could check the oil flow.  The flow to the heads was more than adequate.  Upon full assembly I was somewhat worried that I would have too much oil to the heads.  Previously, I had always closed the oil drain tubes off to pressurize the rocker arms. With the deeper cam grove, I purchased new oil drain tubes and installed them open in the stock location. Upon initial start, I watched the oil flow to the heads and all looked good. With about 3,000 miles on my engine, I have had no oiling issues.

Personally, I believe cutting the cam oil grove deeper is a viable modification.  I'm not sure it's a necessity, especially if you are street driving.  Some members have had to restrict the oil flow as they had too much oil to the heads after cutting the grove. Thankfully, I did not, 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

tbirddragracer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)Supercharged (132 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I have a 460 with a C6 in a "57 Bird with the original shifter.
Used side motor mounts and the shifter has an extra detent for the C6.
Blue Thunder aluminum heads and intake manifold make this bird strong.
Ernie
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

tbirddragracer, I would appreciate more info. on how you set up 57 shifter to work with C6. What detent was used, etc. I don't want to use a Mustang C4 shifter. My only other option would be Lokar. If you prefer, you can PM/email. Any photos you have would be helpful. I would think that what works for a C6 should also work for a C4. 

Thanks

Reading This Topic

Site Meter