Profile Picture

1955 Thunderbird headers

Posted By ogasman 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Putting a 4r70w transmission in the bird.  Wondering if anybody has  gone down this road before.   Are the FPA headers worth $975, and will they fit with this tranny and adaptor setup?  I think Sanderson are the only other option, at about $400.  Any ideas on how to modify the floor shifter to work with the 4 speed?  I have looked for a build thread on this swap, and haven't found one yet.

If anybody has a set of the FPA they want to sell, please contact me.

Thanks

Paul
miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I can't give you as good a picture as I'd like, the car is in storage and I can't get under it. This is the best I've got, you can see the dust cover over the clutch. The collectors line up with the Oem openings for the pipes, I'm running 2.25". I think another member with FPA's has a full 3" system.

As to what they're worth, that's a personal opinion. Here's the link the Ted's exhaust test, the FPA's are a ways back.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic55379-7.aspx

I've replace OT 2 and 3 speeds with 4 speed autos (floor/console shifters) and typically they can be made to work. Sometimes grinding the detents in the shifter, changing the shifter arm length at the transmission, making a new rod etc. The neutral safety sw and backup lights can be a problem. I know there's members here with various AOD's but don't specifically remember an early bird. I've got an old friend whom I'm sure could take a modern shifter (say a Mustang) and the bird shifter and produce a stock looking one that works, but I'm not sure I could.

Here's the half a**ed picture.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Being that the Sanderson T-bird headers are shorties, they are less likely to be an obstruction. However, their ceramic-coated headers cost over $500. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter