Profile Picture

tach drive distributor

Posted By dbird 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I haven't noticed anything about this distributor on the site and was wondering if anyone has tried one.
A-Team Performance Pro Series Ready to Run Distributor Male Black Cap Compatible with 1955-1957 Ford Thunderbird Y-Block Tach Drive 272 292 312 (swperformanceparts.com)

I'm currently using a Mallory Unilite on my 55 'Bird (B manifold and newer Holley) and was wondering if having a vacuum advance would be a big enough advantage to justify the change.  The price seems a little too reasonable, but it is an interesting idea.

Don

miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
That price looks really good. Currently $250.00 is 1644.42 yuan, which is what I expect it is. But if the casting, gears, and machining is ok, it's a pretty cheap core for a tach drive dizzy. There's only going to one way to find out.

I did a cursory search, most reviews were from Amazon. Have a look.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I wish they made these with the old style cap.  I hate the look of the new caps.  Makes it look like a scruby engine.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
They do - https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-THUNDERBIRD-1955-1957-272-292-312-Y-BLOCK-TACH-DRIVE-ELECTRONIC-DISTRIBUTOR-/202911586696

Guess you would have to specify. All HEI internals.

GREENBIRD56
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Two items that have been important -
Is the shaft length correct for the Y-block.......mechanical details matter.
How many amps can the switching transistor take?  Coil volts are irrelevant. Need to know how low the coil OHMS can be.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
CRT Performance has an electronic tach-drive distributor/w vacuum advance and small distributor. It's about the same price, and also made off-shore.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Phil, I couldn't have said it better myself........(sorry for straying off-ubject)

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Last Active: Yesterday
In other words, expect to replace the coil when doing an electronic ignition conversion. Whether Pertronix, CRT, MSD, etc., matching coils are available, and conversions will include installation instructions. 
charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 7 minutes ago
I'd bet that every one of these cheap distributors, with and without tach drive, are coming from the same factory in China, no matter the branding on the box.  They appear to be significantly inspired by the MSD distributors, if they are not outright copies, which is why the cap is not stock looking.

What amazes me is that there are so many available, yet MSD is the only well known company to offer anything.  Although, availability doesn't necessarily correlate with demand.  It would be nice to have more options from familiar brands.with tried and true components and support that will probably be more reliable.

Lawrenceville, GA
GREENBIRD56
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Last Active: Last Month
At one time - there was a Y distributor available that had a housing on the side of the stem that held a common 4 pin HEI controller and a separate trigger inside the cap. Made it possible to put a GM spec Corvette or other higher quality control on it. If this is an MSD copy - what sort of control electronics might be on board? If someone gets one it would be interesting to see what sort of electronics package is in there.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

Reading This Topic

Site Meter