Profile Picture

tach drive distributor

Posted By dbird 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I'm not up to speed on this stuff, but wondering why MSD doesn't file a Patent infringment suite?..   

Paul
KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
Here is their TECH CONTACT info - https://swperformanceparts.com/contact-us/

As I remember ... Ermm ... , there was one supplier that used a direct HEI System (off-shore) but if any electronic component failed, AC/DELCO could be used as replacement.

Even if you go to the female tower style, it will still be a dead give-away as being HEI due to hold down and vacuum advance unit..

If one had a good 57 core, it seems it would be more better to go either DS II or PERTRONIX II.

I would think MSD (or current owner) is behind off-shore production. It is the way of modern times.

Dobie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
PF Arcand (11/26/2020)
I'm not up to speed on this stuff, but wondering why MSD doesn't file a Patent infringment suite?..   

Aside from the probability that MSD has financial interest in the clones we see in the market it would be a fool's errand to try to sue. Essentially they'd be suing the CHICOM government. Good luck with that.

Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I may be missing something, but it seems the price of used and rebuilt YBlock distributors has gotten a bit crazy.  Unless you are restoring a rare or Concurs car, why spend $700 plus for a tach drive distributor?  There is one of these on EBay right now for $2,500, supposedly from an "E" code Thunderbird. It has single points and except for the tach drive, looks just like the one in a 57 Ford passenger car. 

My 55 TBird came from the factory with a tach drive Load-O-Matic distributor.  I installed a stock 1957 Ford distributor out of a 272 station wagon that was sitting behind a friend's house.  Repro vacumn canisters are available from NPD along with Pertronix units.  Unless the distributor came out of a truck, these distributors normally didn't last long enough to wear out.  Most of them only need to be flushed out.  I soaked my point plate in lacquer thinner and it moves freely.   Casco makes an electric tach to replace the need for a tach drive distributor, but it's costly.  I bought one from Summit for less than $50 and it fits in the hole.  I understand Concours, but most of these cars aren't worth the price of admission.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
Unless you are restoring a rare or Concurs car, why spend $700 plus for a tach drive distributor? 

I guess I don't think of a BIRD as a daily driver. Either correct (if only in appearance) or restoration or street modified/HP.

I see your concern but the factory TACH was a must to me anyways.

I went to a car show many years ago and saw a beautiful 56 FORD across the floor. Walked over and it had the hood open with the usual INTERSTATE BAT, PRESTONE RAD CAP and some awful ACL ASSY on it. I think the BAT was held in with baling wire. Enough to gag a maggot.

We all have different tastes. When I open my hood, I want it to appears as OEM even if is not.

CDO - OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order

Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 minutes ago
I gave up on original equipment a long time ago.  I own a '70 Shelby GT-500 that I bought new, only has 29,000 miles on it, and I know every bolt and washer that came on it originally.  I bought another '70 GT-500 convertible, and along with my '69 Mach I race car, used to show them in Mustang Club of America car shows, local Ford car shows, and always had a hassle with those who tried to nit-pic the hose clamp position, fan belt lettering, or that my wheels were supposed to have rivets between the magnesium center and crome wheel rims.  Gets old in a hurry with all the jealousy of those who try to tell you your car is not correct.  I bought it new, I know what it came with, and I don't care what others think anymore.  I sold the convertible and the fellow in Ohio who bought it restored it to Concourse Gold and retired it from the circuit.  It was featured in Mustang Monthly Magazine, and it cost him $125K to restore, plus the cost of the vehicle used.  No car is worth that kind of money when it can be dinged up and ruined by a careless person or vandal.  My Shelby has the original paint, with all the flaws it came with from Ford, and it will stay that way with my modifications.  Same with my '55 T-bird, it never will be a show car for me.  It will be a driver and have a stroker Y, 5 speed, disc brakes, and performance wheels and tires.  The tach drive distributor will be history.  Joe-JDChttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/810b3037-a1b2-4a62-af3d-8b5a.jpg

JDC
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

I’m glad we all have different expectations and what we want or are looking for in a hobby or daily driver. We’d all be crazy it we liked or wanted the same thing.
I might be able to get what I paid for my car 9 years ago but definitely not what the restorer put in it as he didn’t. In these 9 years I’ve put more than I ever thought I would in improvements I wanted so getting ANY return is not expected.
Currently in my opinion hobby car prices are down with no stopping in site for some groups. 30’s roadsters come to mind; all the old guys who grew up with them have them and are dying and no younger generation guy wants one. At least our era seem user friendly but when you consider the typical upgraded engine of choice was first out in 1963 nothing is new so why change it.
I was once involved with perfection in restoration and learned no one was/is happy so went on to happily use the vehicle for the last 20 years.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
PS: I’m with JOE

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Thank you Florida Phil, JDC, and DLR.
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Joe-JDC (11/26/2020)
I gave up on original equipment a long time ago.  I own a '70 Shelby GT-500 that I bought new, only has 29,000 miles on it, and I know every bolt and washer that came on it originally.  I bought another '70 GT-500 convertible, and along with my '69 Mach I race car, used to show them in Mustang Club of America car shows, local Ford car shows, and always had a hassle with those who tried to nit-pic the hose clamp position, fan belt lettering, or that my wheels were supposed to have rivets between the magnesium center and crome wheel rims.  Gets old in a hurry with all the jealousy of those who try to tell you your car is not correct.  I bought it new, I know what it came with, and I don't care what others think anymore.  I sold the convertible and the fellow in Ohio who bought it restored it to Concourse Gold and retired it from the circuit.  It was featured in Mustang Monthly Magazine, and it cost him $125K to restore, plus the cost of the vehicle used.  No car is worth that kind of money when it can be dinged up and ruined by a careless person or vandal.  My Shelby has the original paint, with all the flaws it came with from Ford, and it will stay that way with my modifications.  Same with my '55 T-bird, it never will be a show car for me.  It will be a driver and have a stroker Y, 5 speed, disc brakes, and performance wheels and tires.  The tach drive distributor will be history.  Joe-JDChttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/810b3037-a1b2-4a62-af3d-8b5a.jpg

If you want a reliable/comfortable driver, you buy a new car.  For the maximum ‘time machine’ experience, you run around on bias ply tires, and try to remember to not out-drive your brakes & headlights.  It’s all about how much compromise/risk/inconvenience you are willing to accept. I’m just happy I don’t own one of those high compression, late 60s muscle cars that needed 100 octane.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

When I bought my TBird, I wasn't looking for a Thunderbird.  I wanted a car that reminded me of the 50s hot rods I played with as a teenager. It could have been any '54 to '57 Ford, but it had to have a YBlock and a manual transmission. What convinced me to buy my TBird was it's rust free factory Raven Back body with a three speed overdrive transmission.   I want to drive my cars.  For reliability and safety sake, I upgraded the brakes, suspension and cooling system.  To satisfy my inner hot rodder, I built the engine I could not have afforded in 1962. There is nothing on my car that can not be put back to stock.  I have a garage full of original parts I took off this car.  If I ever sell it, they go with the car.

At this moment, there are over thirty 1955 Thunderbirds for sale on EBay alone. Add in the '56s and 57s' and you could buy 100 of them this afternoon.  Mine is not for sale.  It's not the fastest car by far, but it always makes me smile. A local restaurant has a car cruise in their parking lot two nights out of the month.  When I pulled in there this week a Tesla was parked in one of the spots.  The guy who owns it was holding court explaining all it's features to a large group of people.  I looked at his car and saw the future.  I wondered who will want my Tbird in 30 years and where will it end up?  Sad, but true.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter