Profile Picture

Oil Drain Plug gasket?

Posted By Danny 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
trying to buy a oil drain plug gasket from a local parts store like NAPA that would fit a 1956 Ford Fairlane with a 312 V-8, Any info on size, brand, material would be appreciated. also what conventional oil has the right amount of zinc for the yblock?
patm
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Try this Dorman part # from O'Reily Auto Parts, 197-005. They may have to order it from there warehouse. I am assuming your 1956 has the large drain plug (7/8, .875 major diameter).

Pat in AZ
patm
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Sorry, the O'Reily part number should be 097-005.

Pat in AZ
312YBlock
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

You should be able to get the correct plug and gasket from CASCO “ Classic Auto Supply Company” in Ohio. They specialize in 55 to 57 T-Bird parts but they all use Y-Blocks. I know they have drain plugs. https://www.classictbird.com/contactus.asp

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

I bought a kit of different size copper o-ring gaskets off one of those displays at a Pep Boys. One of them fit perfect. One also fit the trans fill tube and form fitted to the angle fitting stopping an annoying minor drip.
A little expensive but I’ve moved to Lucas Hot Rod 10-30 for our ‘56 292 the last 2 changes. They have a 5 qt container. Also use a Wix 51515 filter O’Reilly’s near me stocks..good luck

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Rusty_S85
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
DryLakesRacer (11/10/2020)
I bought a kit of different size copper o-ring gaskets off one of those displays at a Pep Boys. One of them fit perfect. One also fit the trans fill tube and form fitted to the angle fitting stopping an annoying minor drip.
A little expensive but I’ve moved to Lucas Hot Rod 10-30 for our ‘56 292 the last 2 changes. They have a 5 qt container. Also use a Wix 51515 filter O’Reilly’s near me stocks..good luck

You ever tried using AC sealing washers before?  I used them on my truck as I had a problem with copper and nylon gaskets not sealing good on my emission era truck.  Guy at work told me he changed all his out for those sealing washers for A/Cs that has the raised rubber center on a metal washer to prevent over crushing.  I actually like them as I have been able to get a good 4 oil changes before I have to start consider changing them.

My 56 is a rare case as I never replaced mine and it is over 30 years old and doesnt leak so I wont be touching that gasket till it starts leaking.

Btw how much are you paying for that Lucas Hotrod 10w30 oil?  I pick up a case of 6 quarts of VR1 10w30 for $30.  Ive done my oil change 4 times, next oil change and I got a whole oil change without having to buy another case of the stuff.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Oil is a matter of choice, and for me price is not a major factor. I just said what I use since we were asked.
As for AC sealing washers I’ve never seen or used them. I’ve personally never had a drain plug leak and the transmission fill tube has a flare fitting and a soft copper copper washer seemed like an ez fix for something that was just annoying.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Rusty_S85
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
DryLakesRacer (11/12/2020)
Oil is a matter of choice, and for me price is not a major factor. I just said what I use since we were asked.
As for AC sealing washers I’ve never seen or used them. I’ve personally never had a drain plug leak and the transmission fill tube has a flare fitting and a soft copper copper washer seemed like an ez fix for something that was just annoying.

Understandable.  I was just curious how much the stuff goes for and how it compares to what I use.  I thought about making a switch since the oil I use is $30 for a case of 6 but its not too bad since I only have to spend that $30 once a year.

The sealing washers is for fairly late model AC systems.  I like them cause you can get different number sizes that will fit different size bolts.  I use #6, #8, and #10 depending on how big the drain plug is.  The ones Ive had more problems with are the nylon washers which is the easiest to find locally.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

Reading This Topic

Site Meter