Oil Drain Plug gasket?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic153855.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Danny - 4 Years Ago
trying to buy a oil drain plug gasket from a local parts store like NAPA that would fit a 1956 Ford Fairlane with a 312 V-8, Any info on size, brand, material would be appreciated. also what conventional oil has the right amount of zinc for the yblock?
By patm - 4 Years Ago
Try this Dorman part # from O'Reily Auto Parts, 197-005. They may have to order it from there warehouse. I am assuming your 1956 has the large drain plug (7/8, .875 major diameter).

Pat in AZ
By patm - 4 Years Ago
Sorry, the O'Reily part number should be 097-005.

Pat in AZ
By 312YBlock - 4 Years Ago
You should be able to get the correct plug and gasket from CASCO “ Classic Auto Supply Company” in Ohio. They specialize in 55 to 57 T-Bird parts but they all use Y-Blocks. I know they have drain plugs. https://www.classictbird.com/contactus.asp
By DryLakesRacer - 4 Years Ago
I bought a kit of different size copper o-ring gaskets off one of those displays at a Pep Boys. One of them fit perfect. One also fit the trans fill tube and form fitted to the angle fitting stopping an annoying minor drip.
A little expensive but I’ve moved to Lucas Hot Rod 10-30 for our ‘56 292 the last 2 changes. They have a 5 qt container. Also use a Wix 51515 filter O’Reilly’s near me stocks..good luck
By Rusty_S85 - 4 Years Ago
DryLakesRacer (11/10/2020)
I bought a kit of different size copper o-ring gaskets off one of those displays at a Pep Boys. One of them fit perfect. One also fit the trans fill tube and form fitted to the angle fitting stopping an annoying minor drip.
A little expensive but I’ve moved to Lucas Hot Rod 10-30 for our ‘56 292 the last 2 changes. They have a 5 qt container. Also use a Wix 51515 filter O’Reilly’s near me stocks..good luck

You ever tried using AC sealing washers before?  I used them on my truck as I had a problem with copper and nylon gaskets not sealing good on my emission era truck.  Guy at work told me he changed all his out for those sealing washers for A/Cs that has the raised rubber center on a metal washer to prevent over crushing.  I actually like them as I have been able to get a good 4 oil changes before I have to start consider changing them.

My 56 is a rare case as I never replaced mine and it is over 30 years old and doesnt leak so I wont be touching that gasket till it starts leaking.

Btw how much are you paying for that Lucas Hotrod 10w30 oil?  I pick up a case of 6 quarts of VR1 10w30 for $30.  Ive done my oil change 4 times, next oil change and I got a whole oil change without having to buy another case of the stuff.
By DryLakesRacer - 4 Years Ago
Oil is a matter of choice, and for me price is not a major factor. I just said what I use since we were asked.
As for AC sealing washers I’ve never seen or used them. I’ve personally never had a drain plug leak and the transmission fill tube has a flare fitting and a soft copper copper washer seemed like an ez fix for something that was just annoying.
By Rusty_S85 - 4 Years Ago
DryLakesRacer (11/12/2020)
Oil is a matter of choice, and for me price is not a major factor. I just said what I use since we were asked.
As for AC sealing washers I’ve never seen or used them. I’ve personally never had a drain plug leak and the transmission fill tube has a flare fitting and a soft copper copper washer seemed like an ez fix for something that was just annoying.

Understandable.  I was just curious how much the stuff goes for and how it compares to what I use.  I thought about making a switch since the oil I use is $30 for a case of 6 but its not too bad since I only have to spend that $30 once a year.

The sealing washers is for fairly late model AC systems.  I like them cause you can get different number sizes that will fit different size bolts.  I use #6, #8, and #10 depending on how big the drain plug is.  The ones Ive had more problems with are the nylon washers which is the easiest to find locally.