Profile Picture

Using Small Block Ford Fuel Pump

Posted By Jack Groat 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I have a brand new small block Ford fuel pump.  The bolt pattern is the same, gasket area is not but looks functional.  The lever is the same length but meets the cam eccentric at a slightly different angle.  

The reason I like it is it is small and CHROME...
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I know many have used FE pumps. After I install the AC unit I’m looking at I will no longer need a vacuum assist supply or that part of the earlier pumps. Will be interesting seeing the answer to your question.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I have used FE fuel pumps with no issues except for only getting about 5 years of service due to alcohol in our fuel.  I question the use of a small block pump and the approach angle of the operating arm. Make sure the sb pump is being operated at the stroke it's designed to run at.

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Everything I've read indicates that only the FE fuel pumps are Y-block compatible.
charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 9 hours ago
I used a small block pump by mistake, before I knew better.  The truck made it about as far as I would expect  with a full float bowl.  I later sold that pump on eBay and the guy who bought it said it was bad and the place I bought it from actually replaced it for him.  So not really sure if it will technically allow the engine to run or not.  Maybe the arm difference damages the pump?  The FE pump does have a correct pump arm so it is the best way to go.

Lawrenceville, GA
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
charliemccraney (11/6/2020)
I used a small block pump by mistake, before I knew better.  The truck made it about as far as I would expect  with a full float bowl.  I later sold that pump on eBay and the guy who bought it said it was bad and the place I bought it from actually replaced it for him.  So not really sure if it will technically allow the engine to run or not.  Maybe the arm difference damages the pump?  The FE pump does have a correct pump arm so it is the best way to go.
Been there done that. As others have stated, the FE pump is the one you want.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter