Profile Picture

55 Tbird electric aux fuel pump

Posted By 55charliebird 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Do I tap into the fuel line before the mechanical fuel pump or between the fuel pump and the carburetor.  Also what is the preferred way to hook it in the system.  It is a 6v pump with max 4 psi pressure, as prescribed.  Electrical is not my problem but I do want it to work properly without causing flow or air problems for the engine.  Thanks as always.  Charlie
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
If you are installing an auxiliary electric fuel pump, it should be installed near the gas tank. You should use a filter between the electric fuel pump and the mechanical pump. You should also use a smaller filter between the mechanical pump and the carburetor. 
2721955meteor
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
close to the tank,have a switch so you can use the electric pump  only after car sits for a day or longer,like previous combat yes a filter won't hurt. i have installed several on 6volt  cars,2 on birds that want to stay 6volt, and has original holley garb,swell a55merk,did not use a additional filter.
MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Back when I was running the McCullouch supercharger I had a problem with fuel starvation in 2nd gear. I installed an inline pump back at the tank with a switch on the dash. Even with the Holley 427 HiPo pump I couldn't get through the quarter mile without the auxiliary  pump. With the 4-71 its still in place and I leave it on all the time now. Works for me.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Vic Correnti
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
My 2 cents would be to have a filter before the electric pump.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Vic, I replaced the tank when I redid the car so I put a filter after the electric pump and another bigger one after the mechanical pump up front. My old tank was full of sugar sand from sitting in El Paso for many years.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Make sure gas tank and line are clean.
Vic Correnti
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
Chuck, the filter before the pump protects the electric pump from tank debris.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
The filter before the pump can be more of a screen, 100 micron, that prevents "big" particulates from getting through.  After the pump should be the fine filter, 10 micron.

Lawrenceville, GA
Gene Purser
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi Charlie, I'm trying to work out your reasoning for a filter AFTER the pump rather than before it. Is the pump subject to emitting debris? If so, I see the logic by not placing a partial restriction before the pump. If not, why not put the filter BEFORE the pump and keep as much contaminant as possible from wearing the pump?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter