Profile Picture

Mummert Intake Question

Posted By Florida_Phil 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
My 55 TBird has an iron ECZ-B Intake and a Holley 465 4V.  According to Ted's website test, his mule Y-Block engine made 240 HP with the same intake and a Holley 750.  His engine with a Mummert Intake and the same carb made 276 HP or an increase of 36 HP.  That seems like a lot of HP for an intake swap.  Mummert makes a low rise manifold to fit my TBird.  Should I consider making this swap?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 minutes ago
Which article is it?

Lawrenceville, GA
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
The ECZ-B intake manifold is internally sized for using stock flowing G/113 heads and a stock camshaft.  As soon as the heads, camshaft, and cubic inches are upgraded, so too is the need to increase the flow characteristics of the intake manifold in order to capitalize on those other changes.  While porting the stock ECZ-B intake manifolds can bring those flow numbers up to equal those of the stock Blue Thunder or Mummert 4V aluminum intakes, additional porting of the aluminum intakes takes those power levels up another notch assuming the cylinder head flows are increased accordingly.

Here is an excerpt from an upcoming article for The Y-Block Magazine.

A dyno test where nine different modified single four barrel intakes were run on a 352” Y saw the peak horsepower values range between a low of 455 and a high of 502.  The intake manifolds in that test included modified Ford iron ECZ-B iron units as well as Blue Thunder and Mummert aluminum intakes.  I’ll add that carburetor spacers are also a key factor when dealing with the various intake manifolds.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

My engine is a near stock 292 +.060".  My heads are 1957 "G" heads and rockers from a 1957 passenger car. I also have an Isky 301333 cam. My 465 Holley with a 1/2 spacer runs good and is very responsive off idle to 5,000 rpm.  My car has a stock three speed transmission with O/D.  Given these factors, I would guess my engine is producing about 230-240 hp?  I would like a little more grunt.  I never turn my engine over 5,000 rpm.  If a Mummert intake and carb upgrade would give me an additional 30 HP, I think it would be worth the cost.  I've tried a few multi carb setups on my car with mixed results. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Phil, it would be interesting to see the numbers from 1800 to 3500 rpm. If you could get 15-20 hp gain in that range I believe you could really feel it in your seat....but when you do who’s going to stop at 3500Smile

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
1800-3500 range is where most of us run on the street. Gaining HP above 5000 is not beneficial if you lose HP and torque in the normal operating range. If I recall, Ted's tests begin at 2500 rpm. 
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The question is, "Do these mods make a difference in performance you can actually feel on the street?"   Thirty HP on a 250 HP motor is a bunch.  Has anyone swapped out an iron intake manifold for a Mummert or Blue Thunder?  Was the increase in power noticeable on the street?  What carb did you use?

Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
The average flow through that B intake manifold is ~182-185 cfm, the Mummert out of the box flows 274 cfm average.  The BT out of the box is 279 cfm average.  Joe-JDC

JDC
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

According to Isky, your cam range is 2500-5500 rpm. However, the stock "G" intake port flows 175 cfm/"Street Port" 215 cfm @ .500 lift. The Mummert/Blue Thunder manifold would be a good match with your cam and ported G heads at higher rpm. This might help: ford-y-block.com/porting.htm. 
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted recommends opening up the "B" manifold plenum to 2 ovals. That should give you a few more cfm, but really no point if it outflows your heads in stock form. I would email Ted, who has had far more experience than I with such matters. He probably knows what will work best with your cam. I would think that a larger carburetor would better compliment your cam, possibly 600 cfm. What are you using for exhaust?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter