Profile Picture

Mummert Intake Question

Posted By Florida_Phil 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
55blacktie (10/14/2020)
I would think that a larger carburetor would better compliment your cam, possibly 600 cfm. What are you using for exhaust?
I have 1957 Thunderbird cast iron exhaust manifolds on my car with stock pipes exiting rear through the bumper. I feel like I could use a bigger vacumn secondary carb.  I started out trying to keep my car looking stock. At this point, I've changed so many things that it doesn't matter.  I would like to stay with one 4V.  No more old carbs for me.  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Isky recommends 600-650 cfm with your cam.
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Joe, where did you get the flow numbers for the "B" intake? At what lift?

Thanks
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I'm think about buying an aluminum intake and running a bigger carb to see what that buys me. I have a Holley 4V off a '66 "S" code 390 motor under my bench.   I would like to use it so I don't have to go to a dual feed passenger side gas line.   I hate to use tube headers due to exhaust leaks, but it may have to. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I bought Sanderson's ceramic-coated headers for my 55 Tbird. The only issue should be having to remove the engine oil dipstick tube during installation, then replacing the tube once the headers are in place. I had considered buying the repop 57 manifolds, but they cost as much as the headers and aren't ceramic coated. The Sanderson headers did well in Ted's test; that why I bought them. I also bought Borla's 2 1/4" Pro XS mufflers and resonators, and will run 2 1/4" pipes through the bumper guards. 

Holley has a 600 cfm single-feed, vacuum-advance carburetor. 

The question still remains, whether the Mummert/Blue Thunder intake will hurt low-rpm torque and HP.
Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
I have been porting heads and intake manifolds since 1972, and I have my own porting booth at home, along with a SF-600 flow bench that I have owned since 1994.  I have made special fixtures to flow intake manifolds on my flow bench, and I always flow a manifold before starting any porting work.  I use that information so that I can balance the runner's flow as close as possible between all ports.  Joe-JDChttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/969d72cb-2e81-49a7-b0d0-7dcc.jpg

JDC
miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Phil, I've had no problems with either the Reds headers on iron heads or the FPA headers on aluminum heads on my bird. Higher quality flanges than headers I've used on other engines is what I attribute that to.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Joe, too bad we aren't neighbors. You're not in California, are you? In your opinion, how much work goes into a "street port" for G heads, besides installing 1.94/1.60 valves? Have you gotten numbers similar to those posted on ford-y-block.com?

Thanks
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Joe, what increase in cfm would you see by opening up the "B" intake plenum to 2 oval ports and gasket-matching? This is a more appropriate question for Phil's original post.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Phil, that 600cfm (I believe that's what they were) carb you mentioned from an "S" code 66 390 is what I use on my 57 Fairlane 312. The motor was true to 57 including the cam except was .030 overbore. That carb was a very good match for that motor. Not over carburated  at all. Wish I could find another one of those carbs, unmolested, of course. Good luck, JEFF...............

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter