Profile Picture

PCV system

Posted By DryLakesRacer 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Have any of you blanked off the road draft tube and used it for the feed to the PCV valve instead of the rear on the valley cover. I realize it would need to be baffled.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
I’ll assume you are asking about the road draft tube when it is located at the lower left front of the engine.  That’s not a good place for a PCV valve connection simply due to it being too low on the engine and being in a position of catching any oil that gets thrown off of the rotating assembly.  Regardless of how well it’s baffled down there, the odds are against you in keeping oil out of the PCV line.  Ideally the PCV connection should be coming off at a point close to the top of the engine where the heated air along with any contaminates (ie. Moisture) can be drawn off.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Thanks Ted, I did one for a my sons GMC off a factory tube that had a fitting in the side sealed tube into the 6 cylinder block. It was used on the 2-1/2 ton trucks as part as the sealed system. It made me wonder If I could do it on the Y-block. The block was baffled and so was the tube. The PCV valve was the threaded style from the mid 60’s which screwed in at the base of the carb. The now the oil fill and breather is on the top of the rocker cover. There’s a slight vacuum at idle which was a step we checked when I installed systems when I worked a Sears Automotive Dept. while attending a JC. Thanks...JD

Andy
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I just cut one out of a scrubrolet valve cover and welded it in the rear of the valley plate.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

A nice way to convert an early valley cover.

oldcarmark
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
I converted a Standard Valley Cover to accept a PCV using a Moroso Breather Grommet. I got the correct size Grommet for the Valve and super glued it into the Moroso Grommet. The Moroso Grommet has very small split in the bottom that controls the Oil from being sucked into the System. So far it works great. No excessive Oil Consumption. They are sold as a Package of 2http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c8afd518-7bd2-4c62-8bff-4819.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e3f72770-c1e4-4711-a225-085a.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Moroso made them for after market rocker covers that needed PCV systems. A lotta Cheebie guys suck a lot of oil thru there PVC valves when they bought fancy covers without a baffle system.All those aluminum covers were for race engines anyway.
I’m finally starting on my system and found a 64 truck valley cover yesterday. I’m planning on using a 90* elbow behind my front carb and a threaded PCV to the fitting on the cover. I found a replacement valve for a Mercury.

PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
From what I can find out, you can't be to careful when it comes to baffling a PCV setup. A friend with a Y-Block said he had to put on an oil seperator to near fully limit oil consumption, However, his engine has a somewhat rough cam in it, which may aggravate the system..     

Paul
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I have oil separators, catch cans, on my 2018 F-150 and 2015 Honda Civic and both have oil in them between changes. My Y does have some blowby and will get the one I took off my 2003 Honda Civic I gave my grand son.
There is so much written about them, it’s like oil and filters. If you don’t think something is necessary or a waste of $$, just don’t do it; others will. I’ve seen what a newer style plastic intake looks like after 100k miles of in town driving coated with oil because the injectors squired into the port right above the valve. I know carbureted engines are different. I choose to not want it if possible. I won’t get in a pissing match here or anywhere else. PF...Thanks for the reminder

Reading This Topic

Site Meter