Profile Picture

1957 292 - transmission options in a '54 Merc

Posted By mars54 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi,
 Currently I have a tired 2 speed Merc o Matic in my 1954 Monterrey. I looking for info if a FMX will bolt up without any adapters? if someone can point me in the right direction regarding resources on this subject will be appreciated.
Thanks
PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Question?  Is that transmission, similar to  a Fordomatic, not actually a 3 spd transmission? 

Paul
darrell
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
same thing
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Mars, to answer your question, the FMX will bolt to your existing bellhousing by re-drilling the top two boltholes in the transmission case.  The bottom two holes match up perfectly.  If you put the memcomatic front pump on the FMX, then you can used your '54 flywheel and converter.  The input shaft will have to be swapped, which is a complete teardown of both transmissions.  If you want to use the FMX converter, it will have to be modified at its nose, and a '58 or later flywheel will be needed.  You may have to re-drill the drive bolt holes in the flywheel to match the FMX bolt pattern.  Those flywheels are hard to find nowadays.  At the back, a driveshaft will have to be fabricated, or you can use the merc tail shaft and tail housing and the driveshaft and rear mount will fit. 

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
mars54
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi
Thank you for the response. I have received some input from others that maybe consider a C4 if i'm going to go thru this effort. Decisions decisions.
Thanks
junkyardjeff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I am going through this with my 55 and this is what I am doing,I am using a 62 COM that bolts to the 55 bellhousing along with the 62 torque converter and flywheel and will use a 67 or 70 FMX valve body to get the D21 shift pattern.  I am still in the parts gathering stage and the only thing done is the 55 bellhousing is bolted to the 62 trans and after I get the 62 flywheel I will see how everything goes togather.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Just a question - is there any advantage to a cruiso over a C4.  Neither are O/D's and it seems to me that using a C4 is easier to do.  I put a C4 in my 56 Bird.

junkyardjeff (8/2/2020)
I am going through this with my 55 and this is what I am doing,I am using a 62 COM that bolts to the 55 bellhousing along with the 62 torque converter and flywheel and will use a 67 or 70 FMX valve body to get the D21 shift pattern.  I am still in the parts gathering stage and the only thing done is the 55 bellhousing is bolted to the 62 trans and after I get the 62 flywheel I will see how everything goes togather.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

RB
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
The advantage for the cruiso is you can source factory parts for a conversion, maybe even salvage yard obtainable..  To do a C-4 you need an adapter, which can be costly. C-4 is smaller lighter and has aftermarket support
junkyardjeff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
The last I priced a C-4 adapter kit it was over 800 dollars and that is not including the C-4 and having it gone through.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

But is the cost of the C4 that much more when you figure in all the miscellaneous parts for the other, which probably means an overhaul any way

junkyardjeff (8/2/2020)
The last I priced a C-4 adapter kit it was over 800 dollars and that is not including the C-4 and having it gone through.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter