Profile Picture

1957 292 - transmission options in a '54 Merc

Posted By mars54 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 days ago
paul2748 (8/2/2020)
Just a question - is there any advantage to a cruiso over a C4.  Neither are O/D's and it seems to me that using a C4 is easier to do.  I put a C4 in my 56 Bird.

junkyardjeff (8/2/2020)
I am going through this with my 55 and this is what I am doing,I am using a 62 COM that bolts to the 55 bellhousing along with the 62 torque converter and flywheel and will use a 67 or 70 FMX valve body to get the D21 shift pattern.  I am still in the parts gathering stage and the only thing done is the 55 bellhousing is bolted to the 62 trans and after I get the 62 flywheel I will see how everything goes togather.

I have damaged more C-4s then I have the COM/FMX trans,my 55 presently has a C-4 behind a 351-W and I managed to hurt 3rd gear on a trip to Florida.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I have an early C4 in my 48 Ford (modified 302) for 30 + years and only had one shifting  problem. Lots of mileage on it too.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Getting back to the original posting... It's interesting how many times I've seen references to Fordomatics/ Mercomatics as " 2 spd" transmissions.  The're not, they are a 3 spd. (prior to 1959 if I have it correct)  I think that some owners don't understand how they can be driven as a 3 spd..      

Paul
junkyardjeff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Yes I hear that all the time,I just recently found out they would start out in first with the pedal to the metal.
PF Arcand (8/15/2020)
Getting back to the original posting... It's interesting how many times I've seen references to Fordomatics/ Mercomatics as " 2 spd" transmissions.  The're not, they are a 3 spd. (prior to 1959 if I have it correct)  I think that some owners don't understand how they can be driven as a 3 spd..      

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
darrell
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

anybody ever try to make their own c4 kit.it doesnt seem to be that hard but i never had a need to do it.
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

I guess the most expensive part of the kit that is sold is the bellhousing/adapter which is cast aluminum

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

darrell
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

many years ago jerry made his own kit for a c4 in his 56 blackbird.it wasnt that  hard.
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I adapted a C-4 to a flathead for my '33 pickup street rod.  However, at the time I was working and they had machine tools I could use.  Still it wasn't a big deal, I could probably do it again with the meager machinery I own.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
"Jeff" : Yes, a Fordomtic can be used as a 3 spd by slamming it to the floor, but I'm not recommending doing that.. ( I never do that ).. Here's the method;  " Start out with low range engaged, to at least 25 mph, shift quickly to Drive & immediately pull it back into low range..now you are in 2nd & it's holding!  It will stay in 2nd to any reasonable RPM's, then you can shift up to Drive ... One cautionary note, if you decide to decelerate while still locked in 2nd, kick it back into drive before it drops to under 25mph, to avoid the trans slamming down into low... Now, it's actually a "3 spd", not a 2 spd...           

Paul
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
PF I learned to that when I started driving my moms in 1959. The trouble with doing that it’s a pain in the a**. As you said you need to keep the speeds up or it will drop gears or go from 1st to 3rd. There are some trans guru’s who know how to make them act like a CruiseOmatic but I put in a CruiseOmatic instead.
The trans guy who did mine asked if I wanted a D21 or the “green dot” style that could start in 2nd.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter