Profile Picture

Tuning question I can’t figure out. HELP

Posted By Melly 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I don't miss the kick down feature.  I could fix it if I wanted to.  Perhaps I will some day?   If I'm going to pass, I down shift.  Some people disconnect the O/D circuit by using a toggle switch.  This is problematic.  If you forget and leave O/D engaged in first, you could blow the sun gear.  Good luck finding one.  If you do, I hope your credit card isn't maxed out.  The way around all this is to put the points back in and put everything back to way it was made.  You could change to a 5 speed, but you would miss the cool part of having an original O/D car.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Melly
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
so Phil are you saying if no problem with OD kick down it might be a fine to connect the kick down wire without issuse with pertronix ?
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
If you are going to run a Pertronix Unit in your distributor, my personal choice is to not connect the wire from the kick down switch. The O/D kick down switch is open to the elements and it's crude by today's standards.  The momentary ground signal is not healthy for a Pertronix unit.  In my car it caused an intermittent miss. Since I disconnected it, I have no more problems.

Many TBird owners are sensitive to originality.  To me, anything that makes the car better or safer is worthwhile.  I only make modifications to my car that can be reversed just in case a future owner wishes to do so.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter