Profile Picture

ECZ-9425-B - choke tube question

Posted By MattsY 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Last stupid question of the day.....not! Does this need to be plugged in some way, shape or form?http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c6136903-19c4-4bcb-a1a2-6a5b.jpg
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
If your not going to use the tube for your carb choke heat and it doesn’t leak exhaust gasses it can remain open in my opinion. If I were to permanently close it I would do it with tapped plugs which may or may not change its value to some as the tubes are available and replaceable.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
MattsY
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)

I'm not using it for anything, I have throttle body injection. I have no clue if it leaks or not. I got the manifold from Ebay. It was in very good shape, so who knows. Thanks for your help!
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 19 minutes ago
I would suggest checking out the heat tube and if bad replace it, leaving the intake unmodified

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
When you start your engine you will hear it if it leaks. Your will hear an exhaust tick; if not it will be quiet. It is not in an area of the intake for running the engine. It only goes through the exhaust heat passage for the manifold for better combustion.
I do not know if a throttle body needs heat. If it is not necessary you may want to blank the crossover ports of the intake gaskets. At least use the truck ones where it is restricted.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
It looks as though the end of the heat tube has been broken off.. Anyway, if the inner tube is corroded out, you will have an exhaust leak unless it has both ends plugged in some way.  One end of that tube was designed to allowed a very small amount of air to enter the tube to be heated & up to an original choke setup on the other side. As noted, you may not need that heat with your setup. ??. If so you can plug both ends if the tube is corroded out. Or as noted, drive out the broken tube & replace it if it is needed. I believe those tubes may be available thru T. Bird parts suppliers in the U.S.. I  could not find one when checking with other parts outfits, some time back..       

Paul
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
If not replacing the tube that goes through the exhaust passage of the intake manifold, then you will need to plug both sides of the manifold where that tube exits.  Tapping those holes and installing either bolts or set screws will suffice in plugging both holes so that they do not leak exhaust.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

56_Fairlane
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The time to do it would be with the manifold removed. It is super difficult to plug the one on the driver's side if the manifold is on the engine.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles
MattsY
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks guys! Hopefully it doesn't leak. I put a set screw on the passenger side, but I didn't realize the d/s was open too. I really wasn't sure what that little "umbrella" thing was. Lol! Out of curiosity, will the "Best" intake gaskets need to to replaced if I were to remove the manifold after having been torqued down?
56_Fairlane
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
You can gently remove the "umbrella" without ruining it . You may want to save it if you ever decide too go back to the heat tube or maybe someone else needs one. Those caps are kind of hard to find. The gasket may be toast if you've run the engine enough times. I didn't have that many miles on mine when I pulled the manifold off and the gaskets were already stuck in some places.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles

Reading This Topic

Site Meter